couple attacked while protecting their dogs.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jamat, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

I'm usually too lazy to put a leash ON my dogs :D

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's me with Archer .... he doesn't walk well on a lead as I've never bothered with one. I do all my training off lead, mainly as I am so clumsy & can't cope teaching HW with a lead .... I get caught in my about turns!

Luckily he is fantastic & not interested in anything else other than me ..... OMG it is so much easier having a dog like this compared to Roxy!!!

However, if I see someone with an on lead dog & we are near I will pop a lead on him & make him sit just to make them feel at ease as I do remember the fear having a reactive dog & seeing offlead dogs around

3. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

Same here as Isla is a sniffer and wants to stop and sniff intently at any smell she comes across. If she's off lead she keeps with us better as she's worried we might go off without her.:rolleyes:

leashedForLife likes this.
  4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Completely agree with those saying lead walking is much more effort, it is, I hate it! and mine have to spend a fair deal of time on the lead due to livestock.

As mentioned the dogs that charge around out of control and off lead usually do so because the owners cannot be bothered to deal with them on a lead.

5. planete

planete PetForums Member

I consider most dog owners with off lead dogs to be lazy g..ts personally, unless they have taught a rock solid recall and USE IT!

Sorry for the small rant. I have just had yet another asbo Lab run full tilt at my dogs and another one yelling at me because I asked her to call back her two yappy dogs charging towards us while she was happily ignoring them: "Don't you dare tell me what to do with my dogs, etc, etc..." I am a calm person, just sometimes it would be so good to yell back...

6. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Tend to find lazy owners are those who have dogs off lead and let them do what they want. Which includes running up to other dogs and people uninvited, and make no attempt to call their dog back or ask if it's okay for their dog to approach. Or those who walk dogs off lead and are on the phone or with head phones on totally ignoring their dogs.

I keep mine on lead a lot and don't like other dogs approaching not because mine are reactive but because people are quick to blame so if fluffy wants to come and play and Cian plays back 90% of dogs then crap themselves, and fluffy gets hurt , or fluffy decides to get a bit arsey and one of mine tell them to f off, it's ALWAYS going to be the Rottweilers fault. So not lazy just mindful of the blame culture and other peoples assumptions so beautifully illustrated on this thread.

7. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

I think "lazy" is a lazy adjective to attempt to describe the diversity that are dog owners :p

I very often walk my dogs off leash because yup, I'm too lazy to put a leash on them, but also because most of the time there just isn't any need for them to be on lead. When the law or circumstances call for a leash, they're leashed. I'm too "lazy" to deal with a dog with poor leash manners, sorry, but that's a lot of work every single time you go out, so we put a lot of effort in to teaching them to walk nicely on leash, 'cause I can't stand walking a dog who pulls or lunges.

As for lazy training, meh, our dane was the easiest dog in the world to teach a recall too. We were very lazy about it, and guess what, she recalls off live chases with minimal effort on our part. Our muttdog was a pain in the ass to get a decent recall on, he came to us already pretty messed up in that department and it took tremendous effort on our part to install a reliable recall. But I'm too "lazy" to have a leashed only dog, so the effort to get him off leash reliable was worth it.

8. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I too am too lazy in the long term to keep my dog on leash all the time. I put a lot of effort into ensuring Duch has solid recall and sits quietly when the leashed dogs pass precisely because as other have said, keeping a dog on leash all the time is hard work!

I do feel sorry for dog owners and dogs that cannot be let off lead too. It must a real PITA to be honest.

9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Nooka is reactive on lead, much better off lead as she has the option to run away! We had a lovely walk this morning in the woods (Country Park), very few people and dogs about but every one we met was under control off the lead. Even the bouncy teenage flat coat got the gist and left Nooka alone once she'd given him a polite warning, and she didn't stress because he took the hint! Can't imagine walking the woods with on lead dogs, it would be so boring as they love running around the undergrowth. I live very rurally and tend to walk through fields where we rarely meet anyone other than the same few other dog walkers, very rarely is a dog on lead and there's really no need as they are all well behaved and friendly (a couple of exceptions).

10. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

That's the thing isn't it. May be too lazy to put the dog on the lead, but not at all lazy in teaching the dog a solid recall and manners.

Isla is getting less and less bothered about other dogs as she matures. We went to a more popular place last week for a different walk. As we started there were four dogs coming along the track towards us, two with the first owner followed by the other two separately. Isla had her nose buried into a particularly good sniff in some grass and didn't notice the first two until one came and approached her. As we started to walk on the next dog and isla touched noses for a few seconds and the next one she totally ignored. She was more interested in all the good sniffs, the walk and keeping with us. She is a real pleasure to take for a walk nowadays.

11. Bob Ford

Bob Ford Pickle the Mud Monster,

I find places where there will not be another dog about to let her off I to believe that keeping a dog on a lead is wrong unless for medical reasons. If I encounter a dog then I try as best I can to read her body language but sadly if they get to close there's no hope she goes off on one, I'm lucky as Pickle isn't bothered by cattle & sheep but I put her on a lead just incase.

12. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

The bit I've highlighted you say you had your two off?

13. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

As in your dog will go off on other dogs who get too close?

14. daisysmama

daisysmama Wine, chocolate and animals are life

I am fortunate that I have always been able to let my dogs off the lead mainly because we walk at ridiculous times of the day when nobody is around (0430) for our morning stroll. I have also been very lucky and none of my dogs (so far) have been interested in other dogs and have been taught to walk to heel. God knows what Olive is going to be like. Only 3 more weeks until we can go out for a walk :)

15. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

I do its easier lol

16. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

agree full tilt

17. Bob Ford

Yes she learned this from my Rainbow Bridge dog a rescue that had many issues & believe me I have been trying to reverse this behaviour over the last year with only a small amount of success which is not so surprising because she does not meet other dogs much, having said that once I have calmed her & let her get used to the other dog she will play happily.

18. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Can I ask you what you mean by the bit I've put in bold please?

19. Bob Ford

I don't like to put dogs on leads unless they have a medical reason to limit exercise or a safety issue roads etc or to stop my dog from mithering another dog & starting a fight, This a problem created partly by her leaning from a dog with dog aggression issues & partly because of illness in the family & my own health was not good (depression & hip joint knackered) now mended. I now have to find a training group for adult dogs if anybody can recommend a training group in Somerset I would be grateful.

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  20. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

OK, thanks for clarifying. I thought for a minute you were another poster having a pot shot at those of us who have dogs who for non medical reasons have to stay on a lead because they are simply not safe off. It can be quite soul destroying when you know you have worked hard for many years before accepting it just isn't worth the risk to hear other people suggest its cruel or due to laziness. I'm glad that wasn't what you meant. @smokeybear might be able to help you out with a training group.