Chihuahua agility

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by Threelittlewoofs, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Threelittlewoofs

Threelittlewoofs PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, my Chihuahua Jake and I are going to our first agility lesson on Monday! Neither of us have done it before, and we have found a lovely lady who is going to give us private lessons. We are excited!
    Any tips?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Take lots of treats, and enjoy it.

3. Threelittlewoofs

Thanks! I'm excited. I've bought a new toy (which will be his 'agility toy') but as he is more food focused, have also got his favourite treats in.

4. speug

speug PetForums VIP

hope you both had fun - would love to hear how you got on

5. Threelittlewoofs

Hey! I had fun, Jake was a little overwhelmed by the whole situation i think.. was very reluctant and quiet ( far from the usual excitable little character he usually is).. going to give it another go next week though. The lady was really patient and kind :)

Burrowzig likes this.
  6. speug

speug PetForums VIP

We've sometimes got a tiny Chi trains in our Thursday class and it took her a while to be comfortable with some of the equipment but she loves it now. Hopefully Jake will find it less daunting next time and he'll start to have more fun

7. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Member

Hi OP,

I have a chi cross who does agility. We did a training day in June which completely blew his mind and then started regular classes last October. He's gone every week since then (apart from 2 weeks over Xmas). First proper lesson he went mad running round not listening to me and after that was very wary of all the equipment. It's only in the last 6 weeks he's been confident enough to really enjoy it. I was thinking of stopping going as it really didn't seem fair on him but then something just clicked and away we went. My trainer thinks I should get him registered and start competing towards the end of this year as he's come on that fast and so well-not sure I'm up to competition standard!!!

Although Obie is Chi cross, he has a very Chi brain. It's been totally worth persevering with as he's a sensitive soul and not a massively confident dog- it's worked wonders for his confidence in other aspects too.

8. Threelittlewoofs

Hi Sesmo, thanks for your reply. Im happy to say that we went to our second lesson last Monday, and I had decided that if he was still overwhelmed and uncomfortable, Id not go again (well, I would, but id take a different dog!) However. He loved it! He was amazing, and learned alot. I cant believe how much fun we had.

Do any of you have any book reccomendations? and links to somewhere I can possibly buy some small garden sized equipment to practice on in between lessons? Im addicted!

9. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Member

I made my own weave poles using insulating tape and upvc plumbing pipe like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-pex-pipe-22mm-x-2m/94352

Cut in half, then cut each half in half again on the diagonal (so I can push them into the ground). Insulating tape wrapped over and round the top. Can't put a pic on as they are in my parents garden as I don't have a garden at home.

No doubt I'll add the collection as we progress. :)