Chicken & Rice

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MaryA, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

Poppet my 5 month old ragdoll has had very soft sloppy stools since we got him. He is now on a small amount of Grau and free feeding of RC33 Sensible, for sensitive digestions, but the problem persists. We've used Prokolin which hasn't helped. He is happy, active and gaining weight, 250gm this week and now tipping the scales at 3Kg. The vet can find nothing wrong.

Last night after having to wash his feet, his pants and the carpet yet again, I put him on a 50:50 mix of boiled chicken & rice. This morning his poop was less in volume, but even softer and quite yellow. I don't know what effect the chicken & rice should have on his poop or how long it should take to get to a more solid one. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect please?

Today, but too late for his breakfast, I received a product from the USA called Diareze and shall see if that helps. If it doesn't I'm a bit lost after that other than trying a different vet.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Forget about Diareze at the moment as this will potentially mask any problems.

Here is what I would do

1) cut out the rice and only feed freshly boiled chicken. No dry food, nothing else apart from maybe some pro-kolin but I would even be inclined to leave that out at the minute.

2) IF that doesn't sort the problem, then either try a white fish or some red meat, e.g. lamb or beef.

3. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

OK, thanks Hobbs. :thumbsup:

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Has the vet had Poppet's stools tested at the lab to rule out bacteria, parasites etc?

If this has been done and all is clear, then might be intolerance to certain food type which will be a process of elimination, so stopping the dry as Hobbs suggested is a great suggestion as I understand RC put 'all sorts' in their food, not a single source meat.

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Id do what my vet suggusts, it works wonders

cut out the biccis & rice

for 5days:

day 1: chicken

day 2: chicken

day 3: chicken

day 4: 75% chicken & 25% his normal food

day 5: 50% chicken 50% his normal food

day 6: 75% chicken 25% normal food

day 7: 100% normal food.

really works wonders for upset tums, I found that pro kolin doesnt help, infact the vet actually said that it wasnt any good either :rolleyes: Im sure it helps some cats though.

Have you tried porta 21 sensitive? it really helped my raggie girl with her poops :)

6. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

When Poppet had stolen and guzzled all of his sister's food, he had diarrhoea and vomited once, so I took some poop with me to the vet. He just looked at it and gave me some paste in a green tube, (forgotten the name now, sorry). He found no temperature, no sign of discomfort and wasn't concerned. I told him the stools were always loose, but he didn't even suggest any tests. He said soft stools were ok, it was only a problem if it became diarrhoea again, which it hasn't.

No I haven't. The breeder suggested going back onto RC33 and 36, which is what she fed him. It didn't really help. I've cut out the rice as suggested and I'll keep him on chicken for the next few days.

My phone line is very crackly and intermittent, so if I suddenly don't respond to any posts, please understand why. I'll be waiting on BT.

7. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

It might be best to get a stool sample sent off to check for parasites. There was a raggie on here recently with ongoing soft stools and it turned out to be Giardia, which I think can be treated quite easily? At least then you'd be sure.

dougal22 likes this.
  8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

This is what I'm thinking :( It will take a few days worth of samples to find out.

Good luck, I hope you can get to the bottom of things xxx

9. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

Please don't think I'm dismissing any advice, I'm not. I'm just want to do what's best for my raggie.

Having read all I can about Gardia, with respect to all posters, the symptoms do not really seem to fit. The diarrhoea was a one off episode, caused by gluttony and he isn't listless or losing weight. He doesn't have chronic diarrhoea, his stools are just very soft and sloppy. On a scale of 0-10, where 0 is watery fluid and 10 is hard & solid, his poo is always somewhere between 3 and 4.:arf: My other cat is a steady 9-10.

Anyway, I shall do TBs three days of chicken and if no better I shall ask the vet do some tests and if he won't I'll find a vet who will!!

Hobbs, (hiding behind the sofa here) I'm also confused about not using the Diar-eze though as the feedback is excellent. Even though he doesn't have diarrhoea, I would have thought anything that could help firm things up would be worth trying. Yes? No?

Diar-eze Testimonials from Cat Owners

#9 MaryA, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  10. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I was only using Giardia as an example, I'm sure there are numerous other bacteria and parasites that could cause tummy problems. Tis up to you of course, just saying what I would do as it's been going on for a while now.