Chicken & Rice

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MaryA, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

Poppet my 5 month old ragdoll has had very soft sloppy stools since we got him. He is now on a small amount of Grau and free feeding of RC33 Sensible, for sensitive digestions, but the problem persists. We've used Prokolin which hasn't helped. He is happy, active and gaining weight, 250gm this week and now tipping the scales at 3Kg. The vet can find nothing wrong.

Last night after having to wash his feet, his pants and the carpet yet again, I put him on a 50:50 mix of boiled chicken & rice. This morning his poop was less in volume, but even softer and quite yellow. I don't know what effect the chicken & rice should have on his poop or how long it should take to get to a more solid one. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect please?

Today, but too late for his breakfast, I received a product from the USA called Diareze and shall see if that helps. If it doesn't I'm a bit lost after that other than trying a different vet.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Forget about Diareze at the moment as this will potentially mask any problems.

Here is what I would do

1) cut out the rice and only feed freshly boiled chicken. No dry food, nothing else apart from maybe some pro-kolin but I would even be inclined to leave that out at the minute.

2) IF that doesn't sort the problem, then either try a white fish or some red meat, e.g. lamb or beef.

3. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

OK, thanks Hobbs. :thumbsup:

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Has the vet had Poppet's stools tested at the lab to rule out bacteria, parasites etc?

If this has been done and all is clear, then might be intolerance to certain food type which will be a process of elimination, so stopping the dry as Hobbs suggested is a great suggestion as I understand RC put 'all sorts' in their food, not a single source meat.

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Id do what my vet suggusts, it works wonders

cut out the biccis & rice

for 5days:

day 1: chicken

day 2: chicken

day 3: chicken

day 4: 75% chicken & 25% his normal food

day 5: 50% chicken 50% his normal food

day 6: 75% chicken 25% normal food

day 7: 100% normal food.

really works wonders for upset tums, I found that pro kolin doesnt help, infact the vet actually said that it wasnt any good either :rolleyes: Im sure it helps some cats though.

Have you tried porta 21 sensitive? it really helped my raggie girl with her poops :)

6. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

When Poppet had stolen and guzzled all of his sister's food, he had diarrhoea and vomited once, so I took some poop with me to the vet. He just looked at it and gave me some paste in a green tube, (forgotten the name now, sorry). He found no temperature, no sign of discomfort and wasn't concerned. I told him the stools were always loose, but he didn't even suggest any tests. He said soft stools were ok, it was only a problem if it became diarrhoea again, which it hasn't.

No I haven't. The breeder suggested going back onto RC33 and 36, which is what she fed him. It didn't really help. I've cut out the rice as suggested and I'll keep him on chicken for the next few days.

My phone line is very crackly and intermittent, so if I suddenly don't respond to any posts, please understand why. I'll be waiting on BT.

7. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

It might be best to get a stool sample sent off to check for parasites. There was a raggie on here recently with ongoing soft stools and it turned out to be Giardia, which I think can be treated quite easily? At least then you'd be sure.

dougal22 likes this.
  8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

This is what I'm thinking :( It will take a few days worth of samples to find out.

Good luck, I hope you can get to the bottom of things xxx

9. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

Please don't think I'm dismissing any advice, I'm not. I'm just want to do what's best for my raggie.

Having read all I can about Gardia, with respect to all posters, the symptoms do not really seem to fit. The diarrhoea was a one off episode, caused by gluttony and he isn't listless or losing weight. He doesn't have chronic diarrhoea, his stools are just very soft and sloppy. On a scale of 0-10, where 0 is watery fluid and 10 is hard & solid, his poo is always somewhere between 3 and 4.:arf: My other cat is a steady 9-10.

Anyway, I shall do TBs three days of chicken and if no better I shall ask the vet do some tests and if he won't I'll find a vet who will!!

Hobbs, (hiding behind the sofa here) I'm also confused about not using the Diar-eze though as the feedback is excellent. Even though he doesn't have diarrhoea, I would have thought anything that could help firm things up would be worth trying. Yes? No?

Diar-eze Testimonials from Cat Owners

#9 MaryA, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  10. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I was only using Giardia as an example, I'm sure there are numerous other bacteria and parasites that could cause tummy problems. Tis up to you of course, just saying what I would do as it's been going on for a while now.

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Come out from behind your sofa woman!

The only reason why I suggest that for the moment you don't add anything or feed anything else but chicken for a couple or so days is to see whether it is the rice that perhaps brought about the slightly sloppier poop you saw or whether it is indeed the chicken. You would be surprised by how many peeps I have seen that have a cat with a chicken sensitivity.

IF it is a food sensitivity and it is the rice, then you should see a change in poop consistency in a very short time (though with some allergic food reactions in can take up to 6 weeks for symptoms to disappear). WITHOUT the need for any other product.

Best case scenario, it suddenly firms up in the next few days just on chicken in which case you need to start cutting out rice etc from the diet. However, it could just be getting worse, in which case it could indicate that it is the chicken, which in turn means that you need to find another protein source (e.g. beef, lamb, venison etc) and your are heading towards a proper elimination diet.

However, I do agree with the others. IF it continues being sloppy and doesn't show any signs of firming up at all, then I would send it off for testing. There is no point faffing around with diet or an elimination diet any further if there is
    a chance of a parasitic or bacterial reason for it all.
    B

12. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

you can also use turkey for the chicken diet! :)

13. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

More thanks to all, especially Hobbs for explaining the elimination diet and logic behind her thinking. I hope it isn't the chicken, as it's all he's getting at the moment. If it is, I may need to hose down the carpets by the morning. :eek: :lol:

14. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

Can you spell this out for the thicko here :eek::eek:

I have a puss with soft stools and he def seems to have a sensitive stomach. More so than the other one. It's not diarrhoea (I can tell the difference from when he got a bit of banana out of the bin before I could stop him and had 2 days of explosive poo :eek::eek:) it's just very soft in comparison to his bro and he's still has a healthy appetite is very playful, drinks really well but I'd like him to have decent poo for the smell and to make him into a healthy boy

How do you prepare the chicken, what do you buy and what quantities? I'm a vegetarian and the idea of handling/ cooking chicken makes me feel sick (normal cat food is bad enough!!) but I'll do it for my boys but don't want to poison them. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

#14 Cloudygirl, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  15. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

you can also use turkey, both lean meats, kinda the same thing anyway haha :D

16. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

lol well what i did was buy chicken breasts and I oven cook with some water in them but you can also boil them but i have no idea how to do that!!

let it cool down and i strip/cut it into tiny pieces, currently got 3 thawing out, cos mine are just spoilt lol :p

the quaitiy depends on the cat size/weight etc, I alaways put a little in the bowl, bit of water on in, I also feed cat milk, found sainburyss own good as it has good gut fliora and the vet said it would be good for hydration and the cats loved it. I spread the food out throughout the day, i they gulp it all down in one go I always give a little more lol :D

17. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

so do you cook in a roasting pan but with water so kind of like poaching but in the oven?

Sorry these prob sound like the most stupid questions ever but apart from cooking friends the odd pasta dish with salmon or bacon in I haven't cooked meat in nearly 10 years and obviously I can't try it to check that it's ok.

would that take about 35/40 mins ish or cook a lot sooner than that? Also how long could I keep them in the fridge when they were cooked?

They love water and drink quite a lot which is very refreshing as my old cat didn't drink at all which used to worry me to death so I don't think I'd give them the kitten milk. I tried the pets at home one on them for a treat once and that did not go down well with his tummy so won't be using that brand again.

18. runijames

runijames PetForums Newbie

Chicken with the rice is very good food, but you must have to give without oil. Because too much oil it bad for animals same as human. Give boiled chicken or rice, without any ingredients.

19. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

I must say, I always have a bit of a giggle when I read these posts about poop: the consistency, vicosity, frequency, colour, etc. It is amazing how interested one becomes in poop once you get a cat! :lol::lol::lol:

20. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

He had a poop on day 3. It's day 5 now, so another poop is expected. Nothing yet though. His appetite has increased a lot and his weight has gone up nicely, so it's all inside there somewhere. The Butchers Classic seems to be going down ok, but with the delay between food in and poop out, :arf: it's difficult to know. As an aside, I thought Bozita was high in jelly, Classic has even more. :mad: