Cereal free dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kevinp1986, Nov 3, 2011.

1. kevinp1986

kevinp1986 PetForums Junior

My dog has allergies to rice and maize (corn) so I am looking for a cereal free dry dog food. He also cant have beef, pork, lamb and chicken.

The cereal free dry dog foods that i have come across are either turkey and vegetable or lamb and vegetable(which he cant have). He's curently on james wellbeloved turkey and vegetable and he has also had the fish and vegetable.

Can anyone tell me of other cereal free brands that have another protien besides turkey and lamb. Id like to give him duck, but i havent come across duck and vegetable. I know he really likes it because prior to feeding him JWB he was on wainwrights duck and rice.

Ive gone through the dry dog food index, but doesnt cover cereal free dry dog food. ive looked at fish4dogs, but id like to give him a variety, so looking for a brand with turkey duck and fish if possible. is it ok to feed him from two different brands?

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Or you could read the Wet food sticky or the Raw feeding section.. :)

Ahh I see your dilemma - with the wet/dry food stickies the ones in green are the best, if you look at the ingredients it should tell you the rest.

HTH

4. kevinp1986

yes i had a look at the dry dog food sticky, the green ones are quite pricey. Just had a look at simpsons, good range and fairly priced. I Know JWB isnt the best food out there so im looking for something better which i hope will also help with his itching.

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Could you not perhaps look towards Nature diet and wet foods- or if you like giving him Duck - perhaps Raw feeding?

Of course it takes a lot of research and careful consideration and isn't always suitable for everyone - but it's an option.

In the meantime, give him some Sardines (tinned but not in oil or brine) and some Apple Cider Vinegar in his water should help with the skin, or slosh on some salmon oil over his biscuits..

I'm not clued in on Dry foods or Wet..

6. StarDogPom

StarDogPom PetForums Newbie

Hello

This is my first reply (in any forum...)!

I thought I'd try answering this question as I might not be out qualified....

I feed my dog a veggie diet from Oscar Pet Food as he's had issues with anal gland problems and it seems to do the trick. I do know though that they do a cereal free food; because I considered it for him. It's got potatoes and tapioca in and fish. Cant remember much more but it's on their site.

Hope that helps...

There. That's my virginity broken!

7. DT

DT PetForums VIP

8. DT

DT PetForums VIP

9. DT

DT PetForums VIP

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Rupe has issues with wheat and maize. Back in the UK he was on Wainwrights salmon and potato for years. Before that it was JWB. They may not be absolute top of the range dog foods but they're not garbage and they both suited Rupert better than the "better" foods did. Orijen is grain free if I'm not mistaken but I don't know what variety they do, I could never get hold of it easily enough to feed it.

11. DT

DT PetForums VIP

12. kevinp1986

Its not that i want to just feed him duck. Im just limited to what i can feed him protien wise. Had the senstitest blood results come back and he had a reaction to beef, pork, lamb and chicken. He had high scores for beef and pork so they are a definate no no. Although my vet did say that even though he had reactions to these it doesnt neccessairly mean that it is the cause of his scratching, but best to avoid this in his diet.

So im limited to just turkey and duck and any fish. But also cant have rice & corn so has to be grain free dry dog food.

I think a barf diet is something i may consider in the future. Hes been so much better since ive changed his diet and on the cortavance spray. I think for now im going to keep him on the dry. I just wanted to change from JWB because as i said hes just limited to the turkey and veg and the fish and veg and im hoping by changing to a better brand i may get even better results in regard to his atopy. I dont think he likes turkey as much as he does duck so looking for duck and veg or potato

#12 kevinp1986, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  13. kevinp1986

Im touched that i was the lucky one to have broken ur virginity on here. I am the chosen one.

14. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Don't forget about venison too, there are dog foods out there that use that as the meat source. There's also ostrich used in one.

15. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Blood tests are extremely unreliable re allergies both for dogs and humans. ;)

However if you want to feed a cereal free diet you are looking at either those with potato or there are some with tapioca

Orijen 6 fish variety would suit, all fish and no grains.

Royal Canin do a Duck and Tapioca
    they also do a fish and Tapioca

(Tapioca is the inside of the Cassava)

16. kevinp1986

yeh venison is fine too. When he was on his food trial that was the protien used. You just dont see it as much as the other more common protiens. Orijen looks really good. I watched the video on there website, showing where they get there proteins from and how its made. They really take pride in the food they produce. I think its a bit to pricey for me tho and heard can be a problem to purchase

17. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

There is no difficulty getting Orijen, there are plenty of stockists if you go on line to view stockists

UK & Ireland Stockists | Orijen Pet Foods .co.uk

And many do it on line.

I feed raw but I always have Orijen to hand for emergencies and for training.

18. kevinp1986

Unrealiable really? I did everything she asked of me in regards to the steps she wanted to carry out to see what was causing him to scratch. did the skin scrape, food trial, blood tests. She said the results were so conclsuvie in that for the indoor and outdoor allergens he got a 0 for everything. all grasses, weeds, trees and shrubs, moulds fleas, dust mites he got a 0 for all the types. So she couldnt do a course of injections because nothing came up, besides the food. You think theres further testing that can be done, she hasnt suggested going to a dermotologist.

As i previously stated hes doing much better since i changed his food from, wainwrights. He hasnt had to have steroids for a long time now, so it does look as if tho it may have been his food

#18 kevinp1986, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I thought your dog could not eat rice, does WW not have rice in?

20. kevinp1986

Since ive had the results which is going back 4 months now hes been on JWB. But prior to that i was feeding him on wainwrights.