Celebrating Orientals

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by QOTN, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo Just 1 more cat, said no one ever.

Oh go on then have some more recent photos :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

She's being spayed today, not expecting it to effect her at all she's such a hardy little thing!

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Mewzishun has another almost unbelievable anniversary today. Bear is 12 years old. The wretch has refused to pose for a pic. He said he preferred to relax on his birthday, a date he shares with QOTN who would have been 25 today and apparently also Abraham Lincoln. When asked how he felt about sharing his birthday with the famous American, he said that was no problem but he definitely did not want to share his food as well. (He even went as far as to suggest a travel ban until I told him there was nothing to fear from bones.)
    bear bday 1.jpg
    bear bday2.jpg

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Happy birthday Bear :Cat

QOTN likes this.
  4. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

You lucky thing sharing birthday cuddles with such a handsome boy. Many happy returns, Bear x

QOTN likes this.
  5. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums Senior

Happy Birthday sweet bear
    @QOTN I love this thread, your cats are just so gorgeous
    Thank you for sharing your pics :)

QOTN likes this.
  6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Happy birthday you beautiful boy. Can I ask why the anniversary is so unbelievable QOTN? Does he gorgeous Bear have health issues?

#166 Paddypaws, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think (hope) Bear is fine, Paddypaws, but sadly he is no longer a young cat. I just cannot believe my cats are all getting old. It seems only yesterday that I changed this 'funny coloured' lilac's registration to caramel to please a friend who was working towards championship status for that so-called colour. I found some of his show reports only this week when I was looking for something else. To me he still resembles the cat described in them. His reports were part of the championship application. To me he still is 'a very handsome cat of type and balance,' also an 'attractive cat, flashy and stylish,' and even 'a large and handsome neuter.' That is why I wanted to get a pic of him stretched out looking his best. To other people, no doubt he is just funny, noisy old R. Bear.

8. Matrod

Matrod Slave to a pair of OAP's

Happy belated Birthday Bear, he certainly looks very relaxed :Cat

QOTN likes this.
  9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ahh, 'unbelievable' as in 'where has the time gone? '
    Well I think he is still a 'flashy looking, stylish' cat and 12 is barely middle aged in my books!

10. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Thank you Paddypaws but your 'books' do not include Siamese and Orientals. So many of them die at 5 or 6 with early renal failure, some lines also have early onset mediastinal lymphoma and there is also the dreaded amyloidosis in other lines. I tend to be lucky with my cats but I can never ignore the fact that Bear's sire was dead before he was 6 (he was also sire to Darkness) as was Rose's (a different stud.) Biscuit's sire died around 7 or 8.

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

This is why I'm delighted the next stud I will be using is 12 or 13, and the stud behind all my cats is now 15.

12. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Is Niterap Chestnut Brown really 15? I find that hard to believe as well but then my Havana is many generations behind him and I have just calculated that she was born in November 1992 the same year as QOTN.

I have been visiting a friend this afternoon and we were talking about 'the old days,' the cats we knew and the shows we attended. Now we only go to shows to take the welfare stall.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  13. BritishBilbo

They grow up so quick, Harley is 7 months now and not far off 8. I'm totally and utterly in love with the breed she's a total joy to have in my life, even if I do think I'm going prematurely grey because of her!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Oh she looks a real character. I love pic number one what a great expression :)

15. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Oh my word she is a stunning girl, I love the sleeping pictures. What is she doing that is sending you grey, is she a handful lol?

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  16. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I expect she is just being oriental but it must be a shock after British. She looks a sweetheart to me. Does she nag?

OrientalSlave and BritishBilbo like this.
  17. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Adorable, I love the sleeping photo too. Looks as though she is thinking "ahh life is good".

18. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums Senior

BritishBilbo likes this.
  19. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear that Siamese & Orientals are no longer "long lived" as a breed, at least not in the UK. :(
    I grew up with Siamese, & our dam & daughter queens lived to be 19 & 21, respectively - & that in the 1960s / 70s, when cat medicine was a work under construction // feline vets were incredible rarities! :eek:
    their progeny were also mid- to late-teens, on average.
    I did have a Q re the unusual color of the kitten, i think it was 3rd photo down, in comment #123 of this thread - What do U call that color / pattern?
    I think the kitten is a boy - chest & chin are counter-shaded pale, tummy seems to be too, & upper body appears to be ticked, unless my eyes deceive me?...
    re old age / lifespan in Siamese, here in the U-S there's a national breed-rescue group as well as independent state or regional Meezer rescues just for senior Siamese - & senior Siamese are referred to affectionately as "Meezers" - as opposed to "geezers" AKA old fa*ts, LOL.
    Siamese Rescue - Main Website
    https://www.siameserescue.org/
    Siamese Rescue is a coalition of shelters located in Virginia, California and Colorado that place Siamese cat throughout the US. We are a tax exempt, non-profit ...

Siamese Cat Rescue Center - Meezer Express

https://va.siameserescue.org/VAexpress.php
    The Meezer Rescue Express is a volunteer organization willing to transport Siamese to their new homes. Each Center works to establish an extensive network of ...

20. BritishBilbo

She has her moments where she can nag, she's not too bad. When we got her she came with the warning she was a demon child from her breeder, she has lived up to her name very well. I wouldn't change her one bit though, she's perfect :Shamefullyembarrased

QOTN likes this.