Cat with Stuffy Nose

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by nimagraven, Jun 28, 2011.


  1. nimagraven

    nimagraven PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    3
    Hello,

    My cat is 17 and started off with a runny nostril on Saturday (green snot and bits of blood but not lots). Preceding this she'd been sneezing for a couple of weeks and had a runny eye. I took her to the vets yesterday and she put it down to either of two things.. Tooth infection or Nasal cancer. We're going down the antibiotic route (aggressive course) for this week in the hope it might be an infection and then if that doesn't work then we'll look into a scan and seeing what's up from there.

    Since yesterday her nostril has stopped running. Instead it just looks like dried up/hard grey stuff. I've never seen this before, so I'm not sure if this is natural. Will this unblock on it's own? Does she need help with it?

    I'm currently cynical that it's anything BUT cancer (especially at her age), but she's only had two of her antibiotics so far (well three if you count the one she got 30 minutes ago) and I was just wondering if I'm expecting too much too soon in your experiences. The only thing is she seems a lot happier and more energetic this evening than she was yesterday evening..

    The only thing going for us is apparently her lymph nodes aren't enlarged (which is good) and that all this started a few weeks ago and she's back to dry food (crunching on her teeth) for about 3 months now (She had some weight problems as she has hyperthyroidism and we needed to gain some weight for her fast.. She's still putting weight on.. 200g so far!)

    Thanks for the snot advice in advance :001_tongue:
     
  2. missye87

    missye87 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,599
    Likes Received:
    32
    Errr, very surprised your vet didn't consider one if the cat flu viruses! May be worth suggesting? Xxx
     
  3. nimagraven

    nimagraven PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    3
    It's because it's unilateral nasal discharge rather than bilateral which is what had me concerned in the first place :-/. She also didn't have a temperature. I'm not sure if this can make a difference with cat flu. She did have cat flu when she was a younger cat unfortunately. Not sure if that makes a difference either.

    She is on two types of antibiotics as well. "To rule out everything in one go". One is pencillin, not sure what the other is off the top of my head!
     
  4. ever expanding

    ever expanding PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    Messages:
    446
    Likes Received:
    1
    Awww yur poor lil one this sound simular to my mackenzie he was really ill too my vet advice vicks in hot water obviously with a very watchful eye making sure it doesnt get drunk (sorry didnt mean to sound patronising) or the same with childrens olbus oil it did actually work eased things for him but its so horrible seeing them so bunged up hope you she shes better very soon xxx
     
  5. Ianthi

    Ianthi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Messages:
    4,208
    Likes Received:
    102
    The mucus is usually clear in cases of viral flu infection.

    The green mucus certainly suggests bacterial infection but how effective the antibiotics are really depends on the bacteria involved-without a culture and sensitivity it's impossible to tell, so it might be worth trying another if this one doesn't clear it up completely. Assuming it's one that is suitable I would expect an improvement around day 3 or so. The fact her nose has stopped running is a good sign. Sometimes as well it can take a longer course to eradicate stubborn respiratory infections.

    Considering it's unilateral nature and her age, I'm not surprised your vet suggested tooth infection or nasal cancer-doesnt' mean it is though- but bear in mind a foreign body or nasal polyp are other possibilities here. A scan would confirm these. Also with both ( and tooth problems ) even though secondary infection will be responsive to antibiotics it will recur until these causes are essentially removed.

    Hope she's better soon. Let us know how it goes.
     
  6. Ianthi

    Ianthi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Messages:
    4,208
    Likes Received:
    102
    Just seen your other post about the two type of antibiotics. Is the other one Ronaxin by any chance? Also not all cats with infections especially in early stages, have a temperature.

    Sounds as well your vet has a good handle on things!
     
  7. nimagraven

    nimagraven PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    3
    Thanks. I sure will! I've considered even getting her in for a scan on Friday, but I believe I need to book the appointment by early tomorrow morning which probably isn't long enough for the antibiotics to kick in completely.

    So the actual "blocked over/hard looking stuff" isn't anything to worry about and this should clear up on it's own? It does look a tiny bit better than yesterday.. That's not saying much though!

    Only other dilemma is that we're all going away on a small day/two day trip as a family Monday/Tuesday with her due to go in a cattery on Sunday evening (oops, bad timing, kitty!). My fiance has offered to stay behind if they won't take her, but we haven't phoned them yet (Vet reckons it should be OK and is willing to "vouch" for her health in the short period of time...). It's one of those "even if they would take her I don't know what to do if her nose hasn't cleared up". I'd almost feel guilty, like I'm lumbering a sick/uncured cat on them! On the other hand, she's well behaved and doesn't freak out about going there.. But I dunno what would be best for her .. :-/.

    Thanks for all your help btw :).

    P.S. She is regularly vaccinated and we keep up to date with all her boosters. In case anyone was wondering/linking it to that.
     
  8. nimagraven

    nimagraven PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    3
    No, it's Clavaseptin. Oops. That's the Pencillin isn't it.

    The other one is called "Antirobe".
     
    #8 nimagraven, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. Ianthi

    Ianthi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Messages:
    4,208
    Likes Received:
    102
    Antirobe is normally prescribed for oral problems and post dentals extractions etc. The dried-up material you refer to is dried up mucus? It's OK to remove this with a dampened piece of tissue/cotton wool. Clavaseptin is penicillin.

    I would give the antibiotics a bit longer before booking the scan. Vet sounds confident if she's willing to vouch for her going into the cattery! How long is current course of antibiotics?
     
  10. nimagraven

    nimagraven PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    3
    It's for 7 days. She just barfed up this mornings lot.. Great! :(

    I'm really not sure what it is. It's opaque but almost looks "fleshy" and "grey/white". We did ring the surgery a couple of times yesterday for advice... But... We're worried about it and there is no problem with me taking her back this evening with money/time so we are really thinking of doing that just so they can look at it and reassure us/inform of next steps. I'm just going on instinct and that's usually "if it's something that looks weird, then get it checked out."

    I did actually wash her face/nostril last night with a warm cloth. It didn't really take away any of the actual blockage I could see but there was a bit of dried up blood and mucus.. When I'd stopped it started to bleed again (I don't know if I'm just disturbing something - after all same happens to us when we have a cold!).

    On the flip side, it's completely dried up today - blood, mucus and all. From what I did see anything (minutely!) that was coming out a bit is a lot clearer.
     
  11. nimagraven

    nimagraven PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    3
    Sorry to say.. I just returned from the vets and the blocked part of her nose turned out to be an actual tumour. Part of her face/nose had collapsed a bit and the stuff coming out was purely fleshy. It was unlikely to be a polyp because it was too low down. Two vets seen her while we were there and they both agreed on what it was so I took the decision while she's still on a slight decline (rather than a sharp one) to end her life peacefully and without pain.

    Thanks for all your help :(.
     
Loading...