Can cats get hayfever?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by rigsby1967, Jul 27, 2010.

1. rigsby1967

rigsby1967 PetForums Member

Can cats get hayfever, only the young cat that was found and i took on has runny eyes, sneezes and has a snotty nose ewww lol.

He is full of beans and runs round like a lunetic with the kitten, and i thought if it was anything worse my other cats would have picked it up. He also eats and drinks very well so no worries there either.

As he was a cat that was found i took him to the vet to be chip checked and then castrated, they checked him over and have no worries about him at all.

If it is hayfever is there anything i can get for him?

Thanks
    rigs

2. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Cats can get hay fever yes, but it might also be cat flu. I think you should talk to your vet about this. Your other cats wouldn't pick it up necessarily. Their immune systems might be dealing with it better.

3. rigsby1967

Thanks for the reply Sorcha:).

If Coco had cat flu wouldn't he be off his food and not run round like a madman (well madcat lol). He has been like this since we found him about 6 ish weeks ago now.

Rigs

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Personally, I am with Sorcha on this. I would take him back to the vets to rule out cat flu. If it isn't, then it could be that he has got hey fever or perhaps he is still getting used to house he is now living in or perhaps you recently changed some cleaning product etc etc. But again your vet will be able to give you some meds for that.

But first and foremost you must rule out cat flu.

5. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

When a cat has got early cat flu, he will still eat and play.
    Since you say it's been like this for 6 weeks, it may not be a cold or flu. You will need to talk to your vet about this. Some other problems have the same symptoms you mention. It may be an allergy, but can also be something more serious.

6. rigsby1967

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like a trip to the vet is to be planned.

rigs

7. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Good luck and let us know how it went! :)