Can any1 help im looking to breed my bitch but she wont stand! :(

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by 246RhiH, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trekkiemo

trekkiemo PetForums Senior

Sorry I have came in late in this thread,been busy with new puppy.

I am a person owned by labradors and we that breed this wonderful breed strive to produce healthy KC registered puppies from BVA health tested parents,granted health is not all we look at in choosing to breed,temperment is very important.
    Your girl Skye is unregistered and its best for her not to be bred from for many reasons ,other members have pointed this out so I won`t repeat.
    Enjoy your dog she will miss nothing from not having a litter.
    I BVA Heath tested one of my girls and she has 1/2 hip score 0-0 elbows and clear eyes but decided a litter was not good for her.She is as happy as all my other girls.

2. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

Hi - I haven't come on here to judge you. I am sure you will do what is right for your dog.

I just wanted to tell you about a meeting I had with a labrador and its family while at the vets last week.

They brought there bitch in with one of the pups while I was in there waiting to pick my dog up after his treatment. The week old pup had something wrong with its eye and the mother looked quite depressed. The man with them told me that the bitch had got an infection two days after having given birth to seven pups. They had gone into her in the morning to find one of the pups dead and all of the skin peeling away on her teets. Since then they had had to keep her away from the pups and hand fed them, the poor man had obviously had no sleep since and he said how horrible it had been to find the pup dead and now he was worried about the one with the bad eye on top of his beloved bitch being unwell too. He said he would never do it again, he would have rather had just gone out and brought a new puppy than put his bitch and family through this. We did not even get around to discussing the money it was probably costing, vet bills, being unable to work etc.

You always hear of stories of things that can go wrong but this poor family's bad experience certainly made me think. I am sure you have already considered what can go wrong but I just thought about these people when I read through this thread. Good luck with your decisions.

gillieworm likes this.
  3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think it saddens anyone on this forum, from what I've seen (although I'm fairly new), if people breed for financial or status reasons, and people on here are passionate about their dogs. It does worry me too that the stud dog had been introduced three times before anyone thought to seek advice, but thankfully they did.

But what is also saddening is that people want to breed because their dog is a lovely pet; I've worn my heart on my sleeve in my posts, the Labrador Retriever is a fabulous breed, one of the most diverse around. I am passionate about my dogs, but will always make the right decision by them, after having researched thoroughly, you can't ask for more than that.

What worries me too is that somewhere along the line you've been given the wrong advice about breeding out of a bitch before spaying, it just isn't necessary, despite what you've been told. I hope I haven't put Rhi down for loving her dog, I've endeavoured to explain just why breeding from Skye wouldn't be putting her best interests first; what better way to show you love your dog than putting their best interests first? I stand by the advice I gave, and would still suggest that you spay Skye, and if Rhi is still interested in breeding hopefully she will have time to look into this in years to come as I've suggested.

Just one more note of caution, if Skye isn't KC registered, and her parents are unlikely to have had any health testing, you really don't know what problems you might be bringing into the world. I know of heart breaking cases of pups with hip dysplaysia so severe they need operating on before a year old. You need to be sure you won't be bringing any such problems into a litter, I've researched the health testing for my bitch right back to the fifth and sixth generation, you won't be able to do that.

4. Small~Fluffy

Small~Fluffy PetForums Member

Deleted.

Im not trying to be bullish with your daughter and I think its great that she cares so much about her dog, but she also needs the right advice and sometimes its not what we all wish to hear :sad:

#44 Small~Fluffy, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. clueless

clueless Banned

IMO You should have told your daughter to research all aspects BEFORE attempting to mate Skye.Watching a Dog attempt to mate a Bitch 3times does not give you experience.
    I do not see anywhere on this thread that a member has said that Skye is not a much loved Pet.
    I do not know your Bitch so I do not know if she is a good example. A Good Mentor would be able to assist and thats why I posted that info.
    Your daughter at 16years old is imo slightly confused( not in a bad way) as she had already posted she would not try and mate her again until she has researched etc... then a few posts later changed her mind!!!!!!
    Rather than have a go at the posters I think you both should sit down together and decide what you want to do as you will do that anyway going by your replies.

#45 clueless, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. Small~Fluffy

Rather than have a go at the posters I think you both should sit down together and decide what you want to do as you will do that anyway going by your replies

Totally agree :(

clueless likes this.
  7. Rach

Rach PetForums Senior

Please don't leave the forum, there are a lot of helpful people on here and you will get a lot of advice

The majority of the people who posted on here were helpful and caring breeders that want the best for dogs and between them, have many years of experience

Rach x

8. Rach

Rach PetForums Senior

Not often I disagree with you ;) but there have been a few harsh posts on this thread, it just scares people away, and we (collective) have lost the chance to help/advise

9. clueless

clueless Banned

Sorry Rach you disagree but I get so annoyed when Newbies come on get advice then come back with being hard done to etc... IMO There was no harsh posts until the Mum came on
    I will go back and read again though

10. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Dear Rhi's Dad. There has been plenty of good and useful information given on this forum to your daughter and your wife/partner. Sadly your wife and yourself seem to have focussed on the negative. I have no idea why and can only hope that you have taken on board the helpful, even if it is not what you want to hear.

Breeding dogs is completely different to human pregnancy. I have already mentioned that from a safety point of view. In the same way it is wrong to compare the two as you infer small and fluffy has done, it is equally wrong to compare a human's need to have children and the safe and uneventful way most women give birth thanks to modern medicine with a bitch's maternal needs (they don't have them) and the very real risks associated with canine whelping.

clueless likes this.
  11. Rach

Rach PetForums Senior

We need to remember the OP is 16 and I'm sorry but :rolleyes: on threads is just not on

Believe me I am with you on the newbies getting advice and ignoring but just think one or 2 posts were not on, especially as the OP is only 16

Luvdogs likes this.
  12. clueless

clueless Banned

It went from this
    To this

To this and thats when I got confused as imo no harshness between

13. Rach

Rach PetForums Senior

I agree with this, and hope they can come back and read all the good advice they were given

14. Small~Fluffy

Hi RhiH dad

I love my dogs as much as my children & grandchildren, all there health & wellbeing is of equal importance.

I also have a severely disabled adult child. So don't talk to me about nazi eugenics.

Just as I want the best for our childs future
    I wish the same for my dogs :001_wub:

You do not know me but you see fit to be abusive, I have not been abusive.

15. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Wow!
    Attitude,
    Members are only trying to help here and give good solid advice.
    Ignorant people are those who think it's perfectly acceptable to breed from pets and unregistered dogs despite been given good advice.

I also have a disabled child - I don't take offence,why should you ?
    And we definatly don't need the personal attacks do we ?
    Now did you come here for advice and to learn or just insult and snub the advice offered ?

16. 246RhiH

246RhiH PetForums Newbie

Hey its Rhi again. I just thought i would let you all know that i have made a definate and absolute FINAL decision to follow your advice and get Skye spayed. I would like to thank you ALL even those in which gave slightly harsh facts for supplying me with the information that you did.
    I do believe that it will be the best for Skye as she will not be missing out on anything and will be able to carry on living her happy normal life :).

17. Think you have a problem mate!
    Head up ar*e springs to mind!

18. Rach

Rach PetForums Senior

Great, well done on making the right decision and being adult enough to take good advice

Hope you stick around :)

19. Dundee

Dundee Banned

or a multiple personality :rolleyes:;)

20. Lily's Mum

Lily's Mum Banned

wondering if this is a wind up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.