Can any1 help im looking to breed my bitch but she wont stand! :(

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by 246RhiH, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 246RhiH

246RhiH PetForums Newbie

Iv tried to breed my labrador bitch 3 times but she will not stand. I havnt breed dogs before so i dont know about when is the best time to breed her. Everytime i try to breed her she yelps and bites the male. Can anyone help or give any advice??

2. Lily's Mum

Lily's Mum Banned

hi there, i am sure someone will be along in a mo ;)

3. Oblada

Oblada Guest

What about getting some advice from the breeder you got ur bitch from?
    You really ought to know more about breeding before actually trying it I think...

4. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Oh and there is a "sticky" on this issue as well ("thinking of breeding your bitch")..may help!

xx

5. Maybe she's not ready!

or failing that maybe she has better taste then you credit her for and doesn't approve of your choosen suiter(smiley face)

6. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#6 candysmum, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Bitches seasons are all different, mine follow a fairly classic timetable, but others I know of go against all the rules.

Can I just give you a true story here, to highlight the need for researching thoroughly before you go ahead and try standing her?

I know of a lady who has stud dogs, and to be honest, a stud dog service done correctly, can be scarier than having a bitch you want to breed out of. She had a bitch brought to her, and her dog unsuccessfully tried to cover the bitch. The owners took the bitch away and had it covered by a different stud dog, but the bitch never took. Next season, they tried again with the lady I know, who this time decided due to the same difficulty with the bitch allowing the stud dog to cover her, to carry out an internal examination of the bitch, only to discover quite a way inside there was a lump. On further examination by a vet, it turned out that the lump was a tumour and required immediate removal. The bitch was spayed at the same time - these were people who'd gone to the trouble of health testing their bitch, and done their homework, they were lucky they used an experienced stud dog owner. Had their bitch taken, it was unlikely either she or any pups would have survived.

This breeding malarky isn't for the feint hearted, its not just about ensuring you've had the correct health checks done for the breed, its also about arming yourself with the full knowledge in case anything happens during the process. Head knowledge is good, but definitely go back to the breeder and ask for guidance, nothing compares to having someone there who knows about mating and whelping.

JSR likes this.
  8. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've never bred from any of my dogs but my sister has, she let her staffie have a litter and I remember her telling me that it cost her a small fortune to do all the necessary health checks, then she had to make sure that she had enough money put by just in case her dog needed a c. section, she also had a contract with the new owners of the pups that if anything went wrong the dogs were to go back to her. That was 7 years ago and she is still in touch with the owners, unfortunately her dog died from cancer when her pups were 4 years old.
    I also have a neighbour who bred from her Great Dane, she was left with 4 of the pups as no one wanted them and as it was costing her a fortune to feed them she handed them over to Great Dane rescue.

Terri

9. Small~Fluffy

Small~Fluffy PetForums Member

I have to say Im pretty gobsmacked that someone would consider even putting there bitch to stud without even knowing the basics of there bitch :thumbdown:

I have spent years preparing for the day my first litter of pups arrive, asked 100's of questions from Breeders, friends, reading books, searching the internet and finally getting the all clear from my vet to proceed.

If someone doesn't even know when to have a bitch mated what hope do they have of caring for her whilst in whelp and then giving the pups 100%

I may not know everything, but i have tried.

Sorry i don't normally gripe but this sort of grips me
    :incazzato:

10. clueless

clueless Banned

I agree with the above posts. Is the Stud dog yours ?

11. cav

cav PetForums VIP

all dogs are different
    i dont think it sounds like you have a clue what your doing:rolleyes:
    think i would give breeding a miss;)

12. 246RhiH

246RhiH PetForums Newbie

Im sorry if i have annoyed anyone here. I am a 16 year old girl and have cared for my dog since i first had her when i was 13. I realise whilst i have been researching about breeding my dog that i should never have tried breeding Skye until i knew more about the process of breeding her, whelping the puppies and keeping money aside just incase there were any implications. In the future I am going to research more thoroughly about breeding dogs and I am certain 2 wait untill I know ALOT more about breeding before i introduce Skye to another stud.

Thank you for all the help you have given me everyone :)

13. Small~Fluffy

Small~Fluffy PetForums Member

[B]In the future I am going to research more thoroughly about breeding dogs and I am certain 2 wait untill I know ALOT more about breeding before i introduce Skye to another stud.

I think that is truely for the best :thumbup:
    Im in my forties and after much research and study have only just taken the step to have my first litter :)

Just enjoy Skye and when the time comes to have a litter you will have learnt as much as possible, and you can come here in the future & leave "Im gobsmacked" messages to those who haven't educated themselves ;) :D

give Skye big {{{hugs}}}
    [/B]

#13 Small~Fluffy, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  14. Lily's Mum

Lily's Mum Banned

well done you for listening - if all peeps were like you we would be living in a much better world.:)

15. emmisoli

emmisoli PetForums Member

are your parents not helping you then?? do they agree with what you are doing?? surely if you are only 16 you should have some sort of guidance from somewhere.....I'm not trying to get at you hun, but there is alot to learn and alot of things can go wrong with the whelping (not sure what breed you have??) but it isn't always straight forward ;) Good luck with doing a bit more research and hopefully you will learn when the right time is and find the right stud dog to compliment your bitch perfectly....this can often take a few years of researching pedigrees etc. Get yourself to some shows and see which lines look good and are placed well and work from this. :D

16. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

You haven't annoyed anyone at all hun. we are all here to help educate. sadly a lot of people go into these with their eyes closed and wonder why it all went wrong. Its hard work and costs a small fortune. at 16 i do thin kyou should wait a few years to get your life headed where you want to go and then worry about maybe having a littler but when and IF you decide you need a lot of research and we will be here there to help answer questions.

I'm proud you listened to us all and i hope we didn't come across to strongly.

Give skye a good rub and enjoy her. x

17. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Good on her - maybe she aint into being forceably bred...

1 person likes this.
  18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Just to follow you up with this, if Skye is now three (going from your age) then it might be wise to think about having her spayed for her own health within the next couple of years. Entire bitches can be at risk from health problems later on in life, and unless you know you are going to have the time and money to dedicate towards planning and taking a litter, then you need to think about doing the best for Skye.

Bear in mind, unless you get specific insurance for breeding, you will definitely need to have the cash to hand in case of a large vet bill. The costs for health checking for a Labrador Retriever are at a minimum approx £250, and if you take the responsible route by testing for the recommended health checks, then you will pay over £400 in total. Setting up with all the equipment for whelping (box, vet bed, heat lamp, etc, etc) will set you back over £1,000. Breeding responsibly is certainly not a quick way to make money, more of a quick way to burn it ;)

Another thing to bear in mind is that there were over 55,000 Labrador Retriever pups registered with the KC last year (that figure does not include puppy farmers, back yard breeders etc who don't register their litters with the KC), you need to know you will be able to find good homes for all the pups. You may have a litter ranging from as little as one or two, to over ten pups, and should any problems arise with the new puppy owners, as a responsible breeder you need to be able to take those pups back.

I'm not sure why you want to breed, but the reason a lot of people state for breeding is that they want to get another dog/bitch just like theirs, unfortunately this is not how it works. The best way to get another dog just like yours, is to go back and buy from the same, or similar, breeding, and even then you are not at all guaranteed to get two peas in a pod. I have two half sisters, and they have their similarities, but also their differences.

19. 246RhiH

246RhiH PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful.:thumbup:
    My mum is helping me to research breeding dogs and I had a talk with her yesterday about what you have all helped me discover about breeding. I asked my mum if it was a good idea to breed Skye later rather than sooner and she agreed. We are now going to wait a few years untill we breed Skye and I am going to research eveything i possibly can about breeding dogs and helping with the whelping of the puppies before I actuallly do breed Skye. Also It will give me time to get alot more money together to put away so i can give Skye the best possible chance of having a successfull breeding when the time comes :).
    Thank you for all your help, il be sure to ask your some more questions about breeding and maybe you can help be gain as much knowledge as you know :D

xx

20. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

just a quick thing,in a few years time skye will be too old for her first litter..,x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.