Can an intact male "bother" a neutered female?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Jackie C, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

For the past week, there has been a cat hanging around our home, in our garden. During the week, I posted about him, as I thought he might be a stray with no home, and I wanted to know what I could do. But, for various reasons, I have concluded he has a home.

However, I think he might be hanging around for other reasons. I have stopped feeding him (previously I felt sorry for him, but I do think he has a home, so have stopped).
    He's very nervous of humans, so I can't get near him, and TBH, I can't tell if he is male or not, I just think he is.

I know the following details don't automatically mean he's male, and I could be off the mark, but it makes me think:

He seems to have quite large territory. Talking to others to find out more information, he seems to have quite a large roaming area and exhibits similar behaviour with them as well.
    He seems to only go to homes where there is already a cat/cats.
    He hung around a lot in the garden, even before I fed him.
    He is scent marking in the garden (I know this is not exclusively a male thing), and on the door.

He is really bothering my young female cat, Holly. But he is not aggressive with her, at all. He makes strange, low meowing sounds, not a growl or hiss. He goes very close to her. She hates him and is very nervous of him. She sometimes goes for him and shouts at him, but he will not retaliate by fighting back (he may bop her, but nothing else), but he will not leave or back away, either. She jumps on the window sill to get away from him, but he still just hangs around near her, a metre away at most. She walks away from him, but he follows her, but not aggressively. He doesn't chase, he just follows her. She is definitely irritated by his unwanted attention.
    Thankfully, she's still her usual self, and hasn't been showing any signs of stress, and hasn't started to scent mark herself.

Holly was a rescue, and they estimated her at two years old. When the rescue found her, they checked to see if she had been neutered, and she does have a neutering scar, which the rescue said was checked by two vets. But they didn't open her up to check. She isn't behaving, and has never behaved like a queen since she arrived at her forever home with us at the beginning of January.
    But is it possible he might be checking her out? Sorry if it sounds daft, but it's the way he hangs around near her all the time, without being aggressive.

Is there anything I can do? I don't suspect there is, TBH! I have stopped feeding him, which I know was the exact excuse he needed to hang around! I don't want him coming in the house when it's summer and having the door open, and he comes in and starts scent marking!!
    I know the ideal thing would be to keep her in, and I would prefer that, but she loves going out.

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If he is entire, his urine will have the distinctive tomcat smell. He may just be very friendly but prefer cats to humans.

3. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I've not smelled him yet, but he is bothering her every time she is out and she doesn't want to know him. She likes to go and lie in the sun and he just irritates her, poor lass. I know if he's intact, he won't actually mate with her, but would be still hang around to see if she's receptive?
    If he's done (or if he's a she), maybe he wants to be friends. She does not. I "pssssd" him off earlier, but he runs off a few paces and stops, then comes back.

4. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If he has been spraying in your garden you should smell it if he is entire. I am afraid some studs (none of mine did,) have been known to force their attentions on neuter girls they live with so I would protect Holly if you think he is not neutered.

spotty cats and Jackie C like this.
  5. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Really? Poor lass. :(

6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Well I've been out this evening, and Dave said she's been fighting! He didn't witness the fight itself, or any cat screaming, but there was a bit of blood on the window sill. He heard her jump onto the window sill (she jumps up and bangs on the window to let us know she wants to come in). He examined her and the blood wasn't hers, and he couldn't see a wound, and she looks happy enough and let me pick her up and look at her paws. In fact, she let me look all over her, without caring.
    Although I don't want her to fight, I am wondering if she got really peeved with him, or if he backed her into the corner and she gave him what for.

I'd keep her in for a few days, and hope he would go away, but she literally begs to go outside, and can open doors!!

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Can you cat proof your yard, so she can go out safely? Or build a free standing enclosure. She's at risk of disease fighting another cat.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I have a new neutered female who is, shall we say, overly affectionate to my little castrated Tom every so often. She begins by playing with him and then it becomes rather more intense. She also calls sometimes...very odd.

Jackie C likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Jackie, I hope Holly hasn't been bitten by another cat. A bite being a puncture wound is not always easily visible, but can turn into an abscess requiring antibiotics to clear the infection.

I would feel carefully over her body over the next few days for any lumps or bumps that could be a puncture wound or abscess. The head, tail or tummy are quite often places they get bitten, as the fur is thinner there so less protection.

Jackie C likes this.
  10. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Sadly, it's not possible. Thankfully, I've not seen him today.

Thanks, I'll keep checking her, I know bites can turn nasty and get infected. I did have a good examination last night, she's remarkably passive and placid when it comes to holding her. She lets me hold her like a baby, which I've never been able to do with a female before! This has made it easier for me to have a look at her tummy. Her head is fine, I've had a look at that a lot, as it's her favourite place to be massaged. She's quite happy for me to touch her tail, so I'll keep an eye on that as well.

chillminx likes this.
  11. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Not seen him yesterday or today. I'm wondering if she's finally seen him off!

12. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums Senior

Keep fingers crossed for Holly's sake hes not coming back into the garden.