British Shorthair Kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BSHChris, May 18, 2017.

1. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Sorry to keep on about the parents but what colour tortoiseshell is the dam? Was she black or blue? When you say one of the kittens was lilac black tortie do you mean lilac or black? I am trying to discover if this red boy is possible from these parents.

AmsMam and lymorelynn like this.
  2. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

No expert but whatever he is, he is just gorgeous!

3. Serenity123

Serenity123 PetForums Member

He doesn't look a BSH to me, around here registered BSH's sell for £600-£800, non registered/cross seem to sell for £250-£500

4. BSHChris

BSHChris PetForums Newbie

We are paying in the region of the to brackets for him. I feel bad having to question this but when your paying that amount and have always want a specific look I think we have to.

5. lea247

lea247 PetForums Junior

I had my heart set on a BSH, I found Arthur's breeder through the British Shorthair Cat Club. Before I found her I was enquiring with people who I found on Pets4Homes. I think I contacted 3 people through P4Hs, didn't really know what I was looking for with a pedigree kitten (and some of the ads seemed a bit iffy) so that's when I found the lovely people here at PF! :) It was someone on here who suggested I look at the breed site.

Here he is, he's now 5 and a half months. I asked his breeder a lot of questions before we even first went to visit him and she was always happy to comply.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem soon!

WP_20170507_19_25_42_Pro.jpg

6. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

i helped a friend of mine source 2 BSH kittens in the Birmingham area - you guys on the forums were so helpful, you put me onto the best of British Shorthairs and through them we found a stunning chocolate girl and cream colourpoint boy from a breeder in the west midlands. The pedigree was fab, with lots of champions and imperials etc etc. She saw mum and dad and was shown arund the entire family when she visited, said it was a really reassuring experience

The kittens should have been £500 but she got the two for £900

7. Serenity123

You definitely have to be sure this is the right kitten for you x

8. BSHChris

That's exactly how we were wanting to look.

The girl has been really good to be fair answered all questions kept in touch and we've seen past cats and they look as they should.

And like I say all others in the litter look fine just ours seems a bit off. I think I'll just have a honest conversation and see what we can do.

lea247 likes this.
  9. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Its difficult, but if you're paying that kind of money you have to be sure you are getting what you want. He is a lovely looking cat though - but I wouldn't pay more than £100 as there are lovely kittens in shelters you'd pay less than that for.

10. BSHChris

I know we already put a decent deposit down aswell with him being a red in the area there's not many that come up.

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

It costs well over £100 to raise a kitten to 13 weeks

Serenity123 and QOTN like this.
  12. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

If you haggle on price the breeder should be offended enough to return your deposit and tell you to go elsewhere.

What a breeder charges is up to them, if you have doubts or aren't happy then walk away. You need to be able to trust the breeder as you'll be in contact for many years to come.

13. Serenity123

Your breeder will be the person you turn to if you need any help, they should become your friend and if you have any doubts then walk away. I speak to my breeder on a weekly basis, she is my friend and my mentor and she is there for me 100% and for my cat x

Calvine likes this.
  14. BSHChris

So do you think we should walk away or raise our concerns?

15. Serenity123

That's up to you, all I'm saying is if you don't feel happy with the breeder or kitten, be honest and do what feels right to you, I can't tell you which to do, have you actually seen the kittens? X

16. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

My question would be... are you specifically wanting a classic BSH? If so, can you cope that your wee one may not be?

If not, walk away regardless...

17. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

I've been comparing your kitten pics to the early ones I have of mine and I don't see a BSH.

So if you think you won't be happy with a cat that isn't the exact look you want then I would walk away.

Having said that, he's really a gorgeous kitten and although I have a BSH myself so am partial to the breed, I can honestly say, as long as he's been bred carefully with his health and temperament in mind, what do looks matter in the end?

18. lea247

lea247 PetForums Junior

I sent a breeder a few emails and then eventually I asked her how much her kittens are. My reply was something along the lines of, if money is an issue for you then one of my kittens isn't for you. I replied being a bit clearer that money wasn't really an issue but I'm expecting to pay no more than £650. I never got a reply!

Personally I would ask her about it, if you don't you would probably regret it.

19. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Wow what an unnecessary response. Surely even if money isn't an issue you'd still need to know how much?

claire8234, AmsMam and Calvine like this.
  20. BSHChris

Yes of course seen him twice. Thought second time he might just be taking time for his coat to come
    I know what you mean but I think when we've saved up to get this particular breed because we love their look and nature I will have to address it with the breeder. She may have answers, she has been breeding them years this is what i cant understand although we havent really broached the subject yet with er. She's been lovely so far so i hope its all taken well when we discuss!