Bringing up bile

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, Mar 4, 2012.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Can anyone tell me why dogs sometimes bring up bile? Kenzie used to just occasionally but in the last 2 weeks she's thrown up bile on 3 different mornings before getting out of bed / being fed. Is there something I can do to help with this? I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with feeding times but I haven't changed these so not sure why she's bringing up bile more frequently.

2. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

Dogs bring up bile when their stomachs are empty and they're hungry - a small snack before bed, or an earlier breakfast should help :)

My dogs, being raw fed, are quite prone to it because the raw food doesn't stay with them for long - so I feed a bedtime biscuit just before bed, and then first thing in the morning they have another one - because they don't get their breakfast until after their walk, so not until about thee hours after they've woken up, by the time they've all been exercised and waited an hour before feeding.

Mine also need a snack at lunchtime or they'll bring up bile in the early evening before their dinner.

Have you changed her food? Or stopped a bedtime snack or anything like that?

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi used to do this in the mornings on random occasions - a bedtime biscuit sorts it. In fact, altho she doesn't do well on kibble. I give her half a dozen at bedtime purely because her tum has to work a bit harder to digest it, and it stays in their system longer. Seems to have done the trick.

The only time I get it now is if she's had a particularly hard raw bone. They seem to stimulate her digestive juices and the result is sicky bile first thing in the morning.:D

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Great, thanks Ladies. I don't think anything has changed, however her feeding times and number of treats can vary from day to day so maybe that's the reason. A bedtime biscuit it is :)

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I'm sure you'll find it'll work.

I came here with the same query a couple of years ago and havent dropped the bed time biccie since:D:D

6. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

You're actually supposed to keep them on a very varied schedule. Feeding on a routine and then being a bit late is normally the cause of empty belly vomit.
    We've only had it once when Dino was on a pup so he was on a schedule for toilet training. Since then Dino can vary between 1 meal or 2 and breakfast from 9am to sometimes 12pm, dinner can also be between 5pm and 1am.

7. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

Well, actually, no, not really - that's a personal choice :) It's not something you're ''supposed'' to do at all.

Set meal times and routines are must for most people - especially multidog households. I'd never get all my lots walks in, leaving enough time before and after feeding, if I was to feed them all at random times of the day.

IMO, I also feel it's best for domesticated pet dogs to know when, and where, their next meal is coming from.

8. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I didn't mean everyone has to, I just meant to avoid EBS :eek:

9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

The reasoning, like fasting, is based on what would happen in the "wild". A rabbit etc isn't likely to appear at the same time each day :p

Our dogs get fed once per day at a random time. We don't seem to get hunger pukes. It does mean some juggling in regards to rest times around walks.

In general dogs are very adaptable and it's very much a matter of personal preference and what they are used to.