Breeding my shih tzu

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by jwiedner, Oct 26, 2012.

1. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Someone who has done research, read all the books etc. surely knows how to spell "puppies" and not puppys...... :rolleyes:

m thinking about breeding my purebred shih tzu with the neighbors shih tzu. I have at least 4 people that want puppys and i want to keep one myself. The only thing im worried about is the neighbors male is a little bit bigger than mine would this be a problem considering they are both pure bred shih tzus?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would say that if you are planning to breed her make sure you have done all the research and genetic health testing first, and only when you are sure that you can meet all the criteria, as well. I notice you are in the States, the American Shi Tzu club give a lot of information as regards to breeding properly and where to send health tests prior to breeding. They give all the firm guide lines on responsible Breeding and more.

Shih Tzu Breeder Guidelines

The AKC also give good advice regarding responsible breeding and health testing etc. Right through from the stage you are now considering breeding to the end. It also gives suggested further reading.

http://www.akc.org/breeders/resources/guide_to_breeding_your_dog/pdf/guide_to_breeding_your_dog.pdf

All I will say is read as much as you can go through what you need to do it all properly and then only if you feel sure that if you can do it right and make the full commitments both financially and time wise and that you are sure the dogs are compatible and pass all their genetic health tests then go ahead. Too many dogs are being bred without forethought whats involved and the implications to the pups long term.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

OP, you will not get any constructive advice on a UK dog forum, no idea what US ones are like. You will just be told not to breed and people will be very rude to you.
    I would suggest you forget forums if you are determined to breed and read lots of books, and talk to breeders who are not too far away from you.

4. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

I totally agree US and UK are very different, I would stay here though as so many are knowledgeable, take heed to the suggestions and research the genetic testing that other breeders in the US recommend. You may find that your neighbours dog is a perfect match, I would start by talking to the breeder you got your girl from and ask her/him if the pedigrees are compatible. You can order a 5 generation pedigree through the AKC for both the male and the female (of course the owner of the male will have to get theirs). BTW cute pictures...

5. jwiedner

jwiedner PetForums Newbie

Thank you but this is the last time im visiting this forum. So many rude people. I may know nothing about breeding but im trying to learn so thank you advise and for a comment that didnt offend me. Goodbye all you rude ass people!

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Thanks for that, I'm fairly certain I wasn't rude at all, just honest, so thank you for lumping me in with all those 'rude ass people' just because you didn't get what you wanted to hear.

One last piece of advice, learning doesn't just include what you want to hear, sometimes when you learn more about something, you learn to go ahead isn't always the wisest decision. When it comes to breeding, learning when not to is sometimes the hard part, been there, got that particular t-shirt and spent quite a bit of money in the process, and yes, I had a waiting list for pups from the potential litter. So when you way you want to learn about breeding, are you actually going to learn about breeding, or just learn how to breed regardless of whether it's the right thing to do? There is a difference.

7. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

well i posted the above and was classed as being rude.. ? but heyho do i give a toss NO!!. can never understand why people ask questions, don't get the answers they want and then go off on one. And as for announcing they are leaving forum...... why???

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think I've been guilty of stamping my feet and throwing my toys across the room a few times so I'll stay out of that one, but it's fairly obvious sometimes where threads are going to end up.........