Border Collie heart disease

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dizzy27, Oct 4, 2011.

1. dizzy27

dizzy27 PetForums Newbie

Our dog has an enlarged heart and fluid on lung, he is almost 15 and on vetmedin. Lately he is restless during the night coughing and gagging for breath, he is drinking a lot of water. His back legs collapse at times. Has anyone else any experience of this and any advice for me? Thank you

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Sorry no :( but did'nt want to read & run. I would check with your vet about his water intake it may be down to the drug he is on, but to be on the safe side worth a call.

His back legs going may not be anything to do with his heart condition though that may just be age/arthritis so might be worth putting him on some joint suppliments if he's not already :)

3. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

15 is a long innings.

Any medication can encourage drinking to allow the kidneys to remove the drugs from the blood stream, also plain dry-mouth as a drug side effect.

When we had dogs that reached 14-15 we did what we could to make their lives as comfortable as possible. The situation is akin to a parent watching a child die - it feels at odds with the natural order of life.

4. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

Talk to your vet he may need his medication adjusting.

5. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

What you describe as "night coughing" could be a sign of an accumulation of fluid in his lungs as a result of his heart failure. You need to speak to your vet without delay.

6. lu26

lu26 PetForums Member

My whippet has heart disease shes only 7 she was very poorly at one stage but now the meds are under control shes good she has an enlarged heart and is x-rayed every 6 months and last time her heart had gone down a lot,she also coughs first thing in the morning due to fluid build up through the night!

She is on 5 tabs aday to control the heart and shes very happy,she used to wee a lot when on the fusicare 2 a day but now shes down to one and not holding a lot of fluid shes not too bad,speak to your vet.

Goodluck :thumbup:

7. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

He may need further medication on top of the vetmedin, so a trip to the vets. My old boy was nearly 15.75 when I lost him, he'd been on vetmedin for about 1.5 years, the day before he died he'd been to the vets and his vetmedin was increased, he was given frusemide (removes fluid) for his heart and onsior for arthritis. He had a stroke the next morning.

8. dizzy27

dizzy27 PetForums Newbie

Thanks all, been to vets today, have to continue with tablets. Last night he was up coughing and gagging nearly all night, poor wee man. The thing is he has a part of the day when he seems fine although he can't walk very far as this makes him breathless and he is constantly panting. Like a previous poster said I just want to make him comfortable. Thanks