Bone and tripe together?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, Apr 27, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've recently become quite concerned at the amount of plaque McKenzie has on her teeth, especially as she's only 2.

Today I popped into the 'raw shop' and talked to them about what I could give her a few times a week to help her teeth. The lady suggested a few different types of bones, and I bought some lamb brisket.

The lady said that you should always give bones with tripe for digestion. This is the first time I've heard of this 'rule' - does anyone follow it? Kenzie's meals are so small on raw that trying to feed both tripe and bone in a meal means she'll only get a tiny bit of each.

Also, how long until I start seeing some results with her teeth if I feed bone twice a week?

2. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

I feed tripe alot.

Sometimes stuff it in a chicken carcass

Sometimes on its own.

Tripe does make then looser, I try to feed a bone of some sort in the day they have tripe or either side that day.

All it is, is a no bone meal wil produce and wetish stool.

3. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

I don't feed tripe with bone, she does get tripe regularly but that's because she loves it!
    My dog can't tolerate much bone (she gets dreadfully constipated if she has the 10% recommended) so she has about 2-3 boney meals a week (chicken thighs and wings mainly). I started raw feeding in january, not sure when her teeth imporved but I noticed a few weeks ago that they are now stunning and white, completely different from how they were (greyhounds have notoriously poor teeth). So roughly a few months in my experience :D

4. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

I would imagine it is because bone 'firms' things up, and tripe can 'loosen' - so feeding both together should, in effect, create a happy medium! However, she's not going to be eating huge amounts of bone, and as long as they're fairly meaty (these are the best kind for dental health anyway, a bare bone will do little) then I wouldn't worry at all, and just feed the bone on it's own :)

Would it be possible to swap one meal a day for a raw chicken wing, at least until her teeth are cleaned up? A twice weekly bone would probably suffice for maintenance of clean teeth, but it might take a while to see effects on teeth that already have tartar.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ah I see, that makes sense. Kenzie's peculiar in that she doesn't particularly like tripe - she'll eat it but she doesn't guts it down like she does with other raw stuff. But I know it's good for them.

Oh right, that should be ok I think. Do you know how much chicken wings generally weigh? I might feed them frozen as she has a tendency to gulp.

6. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

About 50g :)

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That's perfect then :)

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

In terms of improvement I do think some dogs are just more prone to plaque build up. Rupert has plaque on the tops of his canines, his right is worse than his left. Been this way for about 2 years? Asked the vets when he was sedated in Sept if they could try get it off but they couldn't and said its really quite minor. He is 4.5 years old now and has been raw fed almost 2 years. He gets a pig trotter a week and then chicken carcasses probably three or four days a week too, so bone on I'd say 5 out of 7 days. Plaque Off is meant to be great too I consider trying that again at times.

Here are Rupert's nashers, his back teeth are all immaculate, think its harder to 'clean' the front teeth with bone if that makes sense. Funny how his right canine is so much worse than his left! Might mention it next time we're at the vets, not sure what else I could do though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks GS. Kenzie's canines are a bit worse than that - I can't get a decent photo. My old vet commented once on how they were quite bad for a dog her age. All her other teeth are ok though, it's just the canines.

10. GoldenShadow

Tough isn't it, bones and chew toys are the only things that I can think would really help. You could try Plaque Off too I guess, I might use it again I've got some in the cupboard!

Rupert gets like I said bone a few times a week and stagbars and he has a favourite hard plastic ring that he chews on. Not that his teeth are perfect still! I know Vicki (Babycham) gets some chinese cresteds in with AWFUL teeth, as a breed they are quite predisposed to having bad teethies. I know she works hard with hers especially the powderpuffs, Rocky gets Plaque Off daily I think and has done for a long time.

Are Westies prone to having not great teeth? Hopefully a bit more bone will stop them getting very much worse :)

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I actually have some plaque-off in the cupboard too :eek:

I haven't heard that Westies have bad teeth, but that's not to say they don't.

Off-topic but I was very happy when we were at the vet yesterday (sneezing) and the vet (new vet surgery) asked if she has any skin problems. When I said no, she said I must be the luckiest Westie owner in the country! :D (Although it's sad that so many Westies suffer with their skin - and I know you know all about that :()

12. GoldenShadow

You're very careful what you do with Kenzie though, as in maybe food plays a large part of the problem, who knows! Goldens are supposed to have a lot of skin problems too but I don't really know any! Not even hotspots are that common on the ones I know.

There's certainly things I would do different with a goldie pup now.

13. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I've not heard of feeding tripe with bone for digestion either.

Poppy has more chicken wings than anything else for her boney meals. The first lot I had was from a raw supplier and they were two section wings and weighed around the 50g mark. Because I didn't think they were nice quality I've always got them from the supermarket since and they have always been 3 section wings from there and they vary in weight between around 75g to about 110g. I don't give her anything else with the wings, that's the meal but the other meal of the day is any of the normal meat proteins she has and her poops are normally firm. Even on the days she has tripe she doesn't tend to have softer poops.

14. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I wonder if she feeds bones rather than Raw Meaty Bones (RMB) or if this plays a part in the history of the idea. With RMBs the bone fragments are padded on the way to the stomach. Adding tripe to bones could accomplish the same thing and green tripe is often counted as a high quality food.

Not necessarily the reason but the only explanation of reasoning I can come up with at the moment as I've never heard of it before and cannot think of any reason.

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hmmm well the bones she suggested to me were RMBs so I'm not sure. Never mind, I trust all you people with healthy raw-fed dogs that don't get bones and tripe together :)

16. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

i've never given tripe and bone together for digestion, i just give tripe when i have it regardless just 'cos the boys love it :D

17. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I thought the powder puffs have better teeth than the hairless?