beginner frog?

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by dannii23, Feb 20, 2014.

1. dannii23

dannii23 PetForums Junior

We have a spare tank that our water dragon used to be in and my husband really wants some frogs he like the dart frogs but I don't want anything poisonous can any one suggest any ideas I like the red eyed tree frog but have read these are not for beginners and the red and black walking frogs(only because they don't jump lol ) but again there poisonous can any one help me :D

2. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

have a look at the whites tree frogs , they are lovely and are good first time frogs :)

3. AubreyGecko

AubreyGecko PetForums Member

Beat me to it

Ours is super friendly and always comes out and up your arm when you open his terrarium up :)

4. dannii23

dannii23 PetForums Junior

Aw thanks sorry I didnt realise anyone had replied I will have a look at read up about them

5. just a zoologist

just a zoologist PetForums Junior

i used to have mall green frogs i dont know their name but i just call them normal frogs , you will find them anywhere !

6. LapisOre

LapisOre PetForums Junior

You should try toads. Cane toads are very intelligent (one of the smartest amphibians!) But they are poisonous but only if you squeeze them or touch the bulges behind their head. If you don't want cane toads (I would really want any kind of toad if I could get some because they're so cute) you can try another species. American toads, along with every species of toad are poisonous but not nearly as toxic as cane toads. Toads are usually easier to take care of than frogs because they need less humidity and can be handled slightly more often than frogs. Toads need a big enough habitat and some soil to bury in along with a water dish and daily food. They aren't picky eaters and can get chubby fast. They will strongly benefit from letting them swim in a kiddy swimming pool in the summer and frequent hops in the grass as long as there's no pesticides in it. Just make sure to do your research first. Happy to help, LapisOre :)

#6 LapisOre, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017