Bearded Dragon not growing

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by StaceyLou09, Apr 29, 2017.

1. StaceyLou09

StaceyLou09 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. We bought a baby Bearded Dragon on the 3rd Dec 16. And it doesn't seem to have grown at all. It eats mainly crickets & hoppers. I put in veg but tbh it doesn't touch it. It has a basking lamp and heat mat. 2 pics included. Any ideas on why it isn't growing would be appreciated 20170429_200011.jpg 20170429_195951.jpg

2. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

Other than live food, what are you feeding? What supplements are you using?
    What is the basking temp, warm end and cool end Temps?
    He needs to feel secure which he certainly won't at the moment. Please get him some branches to climb, rocks and hides as some enrichment and to offer places to hide behind.

3. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

please remove the heat mat, dragons do no take heat through their bellies, or feet, and can actually burn themselves quite badly because they dont realise they re literally cooking
    they need a heat lamp and a uv light at around 10-15w, depending on the depth of the tank, which should be changed every 6 months
    are you gut loading the insects pre feeding to the dragon?
    Athough many sources say they dont need water, do you have a water pot in there? our water pot is big enough for them to swim in [and they do] and we take them up to the bath for a paddle, apart from anything else it help with shedding
    At that size Id have him on newspaper or butchers paper, not sand, they can easily become impacted by ingesting sand with their food
    are you putting calcium powder on the food?
    Keep offerring fruit and veg, as they grow they eat more of that and locusts etc should become more of a once or twice a week treat, mine will happily eat
    blueberries
    strawberries,
    kale
    rocket
    watercress
    chopped peppers, i only give yellow and red
    chopped cherry tomatoes, although mine are big enough to demolish whole one now
    mustard and cress
    basil
    sweetcorn [not tinned]
    soft lettuces [never give iceberg, it will give them the runs]
    spiraled butternut squash, carrots and beetroot

and they love an occasional pinkie, which is good for building them up if theyre skinny [ours were rescues] and for adding to bone density

4. LapisOre

LapisOre PetForums Junior

CHANGE IT'S HABITAT NOW!!!!! TAKE THAT SAND OUT!!! The sand will give your beardie impaction, or life-threatening constipation if it ingests it, especially at that young age. If it doesn't eat it's veggies, try tricking by putting the crickets and grasshoppers in the salad. Don't feed it iceberg lettuce. Feed it things like dandelions, argugala lettuce, mustard greens, and maybe fruit once or twice a week. They'll also eat shredded carrots. Please remove the sand put something else in there. I strongly suggest the Bearded Dragon Secret Manual because this book is only 20$ and tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about beardies. Happy to help, LapisOre :)

5. mrs phas

The habitat is fine, although as i already pointed out, the sand is not, newspaper is fine
    I just thought you might not know what gut loading is
    when you bring the locusts/crickets etc, they wont have had any food from the time they have been caught til the shop sells them, the pin oats they come in actually clear them out [bit like they do with snails before humans eat them - yum] so they dont pee or poo in the boxes, so, for at least 24hrs before you feed the first ones, you must put veg/fruit that has been run under water and shook off, but not dried, in with them
    they eat from this and then you take out what you need to feed the dragon with, dust them with calcium powder and give them to the dragon to eat,
    then
    take out the food you have put in with the creepy/crawlies and replace it with fresh, do this until theyve all gone
    always remember to dust the food before they go in with the dragon

It also shouldnt have any food bigger than the gap between his eyes, so smallest locusts, mini meal worms, wax worms [good to put fat on them, but not to often as theyre like feeding mcdonalds to them ] always remembering to gut load and dust

is he handleable?
    please come back and give us an update
    sharonx

6. LapisOre

Yes I know what gut loading is. I used to gut load my crickets to feed to my alligator lizard until I lost him last year ):. I REALLY wanted a bearded dragon for my last birthday so I did a ton of research but my mom said it would be too expensive so I didn't get one so I know about the food smaller than the space between the eyes thing.

7. LapisOre

I also used to dust the crickets for my alligator lizard

8. mrs phas

I was actually posting to the OP, who seems tobe a new dragon owner and a little worried about theirs

@StaceyLou09 , I hope you do come back and let us know

9. Katalyst

Dear God, when will the impaction myths die...

Sand doesn't directly cause impaction. Sand and crap husbandry cause impaction. If you're adequately supplementing and providing hot enough basking area and good, broad thermogradients, sand is just fine.
    If however the animal is observed deliberately substrate consuming or you know it to be recovering from deficiencies, take it off sand and put it on paper.
    If we're going to split hairs, the best substrate would be a clay based desert bedding type which you can mix with some sterilised top soil should you wish. I don't like cocofibre as a mixer for sand or other substrate in dry enclosures as it's very dusty.

A 10 to 15 watt uv bulb in a 4 ft set up (which I hope that is) is the very bare minimum and ideally you want to go for something longer. Either way, it needs to be a 10 to 14% UVB output.

Veg should be offered daily and you want to supplement feed with calcium 3 or 4 times and week and vitamins (with a D3 content) the rest. I personally don't like using vitamins more than 3 times per week if using a decent UV bulb and a varied diet.

StormyThai and Nagini like this.
  10. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

agree katalyst, i don't keep beardies, but keep other lizards which have coped very well on sand when i've used it, not had one impaction yet, and agree also, it's a crap environment issue, that causes impactions, rather than the substrate itself.

Katalyst likes this.
  11. Katalyst

I've seen a horrible number of impaction over the last 15 years.
    The only couple I've seen that were not directly linked to terrible care and inadequate supplementation were caused by enormous gastric masses booking the passage of faeces, substrate etc.
    Drives me bonkers seeing people pull the "ERMAGHERD! SERND!" horror stories.
    Give me a well kept reptile that is able to exhibit natural foraging and digging behaviours over one stuck in a bare and borderline sterile and featureless home any day of the week.

Of course no one ever mentions the issues involved for the joints of animals kept exclusively on bare vivid bottoms, newspaper, lino etc... those are real (if rare) issues too. Why do we not panic about those?
    Lol

StormyThai likes this.
  12. mrs phas

sorry but I too have kept lizards, dragons and gheckos specifically for a long long time and yes I have seen impaction in such a small dragon by being kept on sand
    Im not say bad husbandry doesnt come into it, but, again, at that size I would rather advise a person not to keep on sand, just in case, than leave them to carry on
    also it is easier to change newspaper than sand, which, again, makes good husbandry easier
    My present dragons are 4 now and happy on sand, rocks, branches and astroturf that make up their habititat

tbh to mock someone for giving stable advise,advice agreed on by the many 1000s of hobbyists out there, is extremely rude and something I thought below you @Katalyst

13. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

agree, took in another uromastyx recently whose owner was using astro turf as a substrate:eek: i were concerned about toxin inhalation due to the backing and heat.
    he's fine, yet still couldn't quite believe that one, it was a new one on me!

14. mrs phas

yep i have no probs with small amount of astro turf i use
    however i do keep it at the cool end only and not a huge amount
    i have plenty to spare, so i just change it each time the tank is cleaned, chuck it in a bucket of milton for 24hr and then thoroughly hose it down
    line dry and its done

15. Katalyst

I would argue that it is outdated advice tbh @mrs phas and long since debunked. Unfortunately, myths abound on Facebook pages and forums and it's really frustrating.
    That beardie is not a fresh hatchling. IF it is being kept correctly, it's not going to drop dead from being kept on sand.
    I too have kept and bred reptiles for many years.
    And lectured their care, troubleshooting of commonly seen husbandry based issues and general management. And worked as a zoo keeper breeding endangered and vulnerable species as part of ex situ conservation programs.
    So please don't think I'm not well versed in modern husbandry and care. I'm not making stuff up as I go along.

16. Katalyst

Urgh.
    Just because most reptiles don't play with a ball for example doesn't mean we get to ignore environmental enrichment all together in the name of sterility. It's not difficult to keep a proper enclosure set up clean. This whole paper-towel-and-astroturf craze smacks of laziness (and the aforementioned scaremongering) to me....

And of course (not in the uros case lol) let's just utterly forget that substrate helps maintain essential humidity levels of which most species need if only in a tiny area.

17. mrs phas

We shall have to agree to disagree and I have never thought, or inferred, that you make things up as you go along, I actually have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge,
    hence my comment
    I would also state that, just because i keep a small area of astroturf in my vivs, I am neither lazy with my husbandry nor enrichment within them

edit cos i am an idiot and made it sound like I was lazy......see below in quotes

#17 mrs phas, May 25, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    Last edited: May 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    Katalyst likes this.
  18. Katalyst

That's fair comment and to each their own.
    What I dislike it the oft-touted "best" way of keeping is to do things as minimally as possible.

Peace and stuff :)

mrs phas likes this.