Argos pet insurance and making a claim

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Feb 13, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I took the form and a stamped envelope to my vets three weeks ago tomorrow and haven't heard anything. Are they likely to be able to look at my policy details and tell me what they are/aren't doing if I call them up?

Don't want to spend ages on the phone if they can't tell me anything but getting impatient now :(

Its only £160 but that's like three text books I could buy :eek:

2. adbrad

adbrad PetForums Member

Phone the vets and see if they have sent the form yet and then phone the insurance and see where the claim stands, if i remember when we claimed through the insurance it wasn't argos but i don't think we heard anything.

3. GoldenShadow

Thanks, need to call the vets up anyway I will check. I am pretty sure my vets post them off every morning as they have one lady who fills them all in and signs them.

Will open up a can of worms with my vets if the claim doesn't go through, it will be what they have written to make that the case :(

He had blood test, thyroid test and needed sedating for it because he's a bit of a wimp with the vet and wouldn't stay still for her. I wanted all that done because his personality has changed and he's just so uninterested in most things/lost weight/gained weight etc but he did have an ear infection at the time and has had problems with both ears which were considered an allergy but never diagnosed before this policy started.

I'm thinking the vets have just said he had it done because of his ear, when the first ear infection he was ever diagnosed with was in October 2010 when this policy was started in Feb 2010 :rolleyes: :(

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would telphone your vets, make sure they sent it off and when, then start chasing argos. You might even be able to email the claims dept. if you dont want to phone.

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

All mine are insured with Argos and have never had a problem, they have paid promptly usually direct to the vet, even Flynns £5,500 hip replacement was paid within ten days.
    I'd phone Argos and ask if your vet has actually put in the claim yet as the vet may say they have when they haven't. I have spoken to Argos about claims in the past and they have even offered to send me details as to how much the vet has claimed and the dates.

I find Argos very good and wouldn't go with anyone else now. :)

6. GoldenShadow

Argos haven't received anything (vets sent it 27th Jan) so vets are faxing a copy across to them now. Glad I'm a bit impatient now :eek:

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Glad you're getting it sorted, i'd always call Argos before the vet as vets can sometimes mislay things. Bet you get your cheque within two weeks now. ;)

8. GoldenShadow

This is if I get a cheque, I would really quite like one though :eek:

The vets damaged Rupert's skin when clipping his fur so got another almost £40 off me for gel to put on that (he was sedated so there was little excuse), and I really resented paying that, but they included it in the amount they said it all cost :)

I already paid the vets you see, so am a little dubious how much they want to get the money for ME as opposed to THEM. It was about £260 all in and then I decided heck, premium has gone up £2 for the next year when we've not claimed or anything, if I claim now my premium wont go up as its already gone through for Feb 2011 so the money I get back can go towards his insurance for this year, and hopefully as its only about £200 the renewal will come back OK in Feb 2012 :)

My vets have a big sign on the wall saying they want payment in full on the day the animal is seen, haven't enquired into exactly what it means but I guess they don't seem to like claiming for you...

9. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

It's more likely that they a) want to make sure they get the excess payment from you if they claim from a company but b) they don't want to wait for the insurance company to pay them.

About 80% of all vets now sell Pet Plan insurance and they don't much like dealing with other insurers directly, especially if they have no history of doing so. It makes a mockery of the idea that insurers will pay the vet directly - because it's the vet's choice. (Hence new companies like "VetsMediCover" have a bit of an uphill fight because they will only pay direct to the vet)

10. genna ann

genna ann PetForums Member

most insurance companies take a lot longer to pay out despite their claims.

I'm with direct line, average is 6-8 week :( xxx

11. adbrad

adbrad PetForums Member

If I remember when i claimed through direct line they had paid the vets within about 3 weeks of me handing the forms to the vets.

The vets i use round here also say this but i have always just handed them a claim form and they have just accepted payment that way. And never demanded an excess upfront.

12. GoldenShadow

Urgh!

Had a letter in the post today from Argos saying they require a 12 month history for Rupert and they have sent my forms all back. So why did they tell me they had nothing on record?! What they sent me is dated before I rang them up so they haven't even put anything on Rupert's record yet.

His history from my old vet is all handwritten, very hard to read and is a photocopy of a photocopy I hope they wont be gits and say no if they can't read it :(

13. Sled dog hotel

More Insurane companies seem to be doing this now. Is it your first claim with argos, they seem to want the full history with the 1st claim.

14. GoldenShadow

It is yes. They are going to have immense fun reading it, I will take a photo of it for you :eek:

15. Sled dog hotel

Thats why then, I had to do it with Animal Friends when I had first claim with Nanuq, and jus got a knock back on my first claim with pet plan, had to send the full history for Kobi too.

16. GoldenShadow

Here are the first couple pages :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

OMG that's hardly readable, lol. My vet deals directly with Argos and sent in the full history himself for all the Mals. Probably why he charges the earth! :rolleyes:

18. GoldenShadow

That's nice that you don't have to be the middle man at least :)

I hope they wont be arsey with me as they can't read it :(

Haha this is the page after, try reading THIS :eek: :

[​IMG]

Bad init :lol:

19. Merryweather

Merryweather PetForums Newbie

Have you only recently joined Argos? I was under the impression they normally only want medical history if you've got a relatively new insurance, so they can make sure the condition isn't pre-existing

20. GoldenShadow

Rupert's DOB is 12/08/08. I had an Argos Gold (not lifelong) policy until about Feb 2010. Feb 2010 we went to Argos Platinum (lifelong) but have not yet claimed on any policy.

I am a bit worried they will see things like 'O noticed blood on floor after walk' and be like :eek: :eek: :eek: but my vets put it down to a nosebleed and that he might have inhaled a foreign body. But I can't make out that that's what it says :(

Have scrawled them a note saying basic issues are ear inflammation/soreness, anal glands and the odd accident.