Are Pitbull Cross Staff Banned In Uk. Please Help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by coyotequeen, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Always forget to check that. Anyone know what happened?

2. DaveE

DaveE PetForums Newbie

Im from Scotland and owned a staff cross (possibly a pit-bull) for over 17 years before that i bred staffies and now i have another staffie and im afraid that owning any bull bred dog in Scotland is going to turn heads and set tongues wagging nothing to do with the dogs all to do with peoples ignorance about the breeds and what they have read in the press maybe you should consider this as ive been called all kinds of a nutter just because of my dogs looks but then again maybe this is a good thing because not too many people want to swear at my dogs! So as has been said many times here don't mention the pit-bull thing or someone who is afraid of dogs will lift the phone and get you in DEEP DOODOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. pitbull lover

pitbull lover PetForums Newbie

i can tell you here an now its all ****** im got a pitbull cross staff at this moment ive had pitbulls all my life yh i live in the uk they arnt like any other do you have to train them in a different way to other breeds of dogs i can walk my pit x staff off the lead on the lead doesnt pull doesnt attack ova dogs he wouldnt dare because he respects me i can leave it with a 1yr old an its perfectly fine it jus licks the 1 yr old legalize pitballs its not the breed its tho ******* owners who dont know how to train lookafter an teach their dogs what right from wrong

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think you will find everyone on here is aware there is nothing wrong with the dogs - but you are breaking the law to have pitbulls and whoever bred your dog was breaking the law.
    Why would you need to train them differently from other dogs - or do you just like different ways of learning - like your spelling and grammar.

5. xshelly_stanliex

xshelly_stanliex PetForums VIP

I understand what your saying, i agree no dog should be targeted because of its breed its wrong and am all for getting rid of BSL it ruins familys and dosnt target the low lifw who get these dogs because they think they look hard.
    But the facts are these dogs are banned and going around saying you have a pit cross is not exactly clever unless you want too end up getting your dog taken from you????. And tbh i very much doubt it has true american pitbull in its problie just staffy cross.
    If i were you i would not leave your dog with your child not because of the breed but because its stupid too think you can leave them together without supervision children can annoy hurt your dog etc then the dog ends up getting blamed when your kids hurt.

6. bloggingvet

bloggingvet PetForums Newbie

Hi, you are in a really tricky situation. As Pit Bull types are illegal. However as has been mentioned correctly on the forum. A pit bull cross may not be illegal if it is not a pit bull type. You may be thinking what is all this Pit Bull type mularkey. Well the Pit Bull as a breed is not recognised by the UK kennel club. It is actually an American breed. And to be honest the descriptions used are as with many things open to interpretation. Very basically from the point of UK law a Pit Bull type is any dog that the Police / Crown Prosecution Service believe to look like a Pit Bull. If the case actually gets to court then cases regularly fall down as no one can agree on what is or is not a Pit Bull type. You often get different experts disagreeing. Don't expect the Judge or police to know.
    Most vets would not want to get deeply involved with this type of issue unless the dog is obviously nasty. I have known many lovely Pit Bulls and the belief that certain dogs are always nasty is way too simplistic. Any dog can be dangerous but is usually how the dog has been looked after and trained that is most important or occasionally some genetic problem (ie Cocker Rage) Most people in the know, realise that the dangerous dogs act was rushed legislation and poorly draughted.
    If your vet honestly believes your pet to be a Pit Bull then they may advise you to go to the Police about your pet. They would be very unlikely to shop you.
    Owning up to the Police that you suspect your pet is a Pit Bull would be a very high risk strategy, as they have to follow very strict guidelines and there is very little wriggle-room for them. They really don't want these type of cases either as they would have to remove the dog from you and then they have to look after the dog until the court case. - Which can take a long time and they then have to spend their resources on the kenneling fees.
    So what to do. First understand that there is no ideal solution. If the dog is genuinely a nice dog then always describe him/her as a Staffie Cross. Never, never mention the Pit word. Most people, police included would much rather turn a blind eye unless someone makes it so obvious that they have to do something. I would always keep the dog on the lead. And you may want to think about the dog wearing a muzzle in public ( as would be the rules if a legal pitbull.) Bear in mind that there are no legal Pit Bulls now as all the ones registered initially should be dead by now. Hope this helps a bit and best of luck.
    [​IMG]

7. lmcmwh

lmcmwh PetForums Newbie

Hi, I having the same thoughts about my dog at the moment. We bought her at 9 weeks old and was told that both parents were staff. We saw the mum dog but they didn't have the dad available. We've had staff puppies before though and the one we've just got looks different. She's a lovely dog with a brilliant temperament, but I'm worried she may have pitbull in her. ?

#47 lmcmwh, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

A Staff x Lab or Boxer can look a little PB ish so just think of her as one of those and don't ever say you're worried about pitbull in her. The likelihood is she hasn't anyway! ;)

9. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I had the same worry with Harvey, but to be honest they look soooooo different when growing.

100% convinced he's got lab in him. His mum was staff, that much we do know, and i reckon his dad may have been a staff x lab.

10. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Not exactly! the OP is only 'concerned' that the dog COULD be part pb! It could just as easily be a SBT cross good knows what! That would NOT be breaking the law, BUT as Noonie says, even mentioning the word PB is NOT a good idea

good luck OP, and all the very best to you, take the wee staffie cross to the vets by all means! but again as Noonie advises NEVER utter the word Pit Bull again.

11. claireandandy

claireandandy PetForums Member

pits arnt banned here .its just illegal to breed them here,i was told so by my vet when my brother braught home a little white staffy puppy 2 years ago failing to mention it wasnt a staffie it was a pure pit bread from fighting dogs,both the parents took part in illegal dog fights and when they had a litter they were going to"dispose" of the pups,thats y my brother took it on and didnt tell my mam what the dog was,soon as she was 5 months and big and healthy enough to be re homed she was my mother wouldnt have the breed in the home with grandchildren i know theres lots of conflict a dog is what u make it to be ,she was lovely and we all cried buckets when she went but my mum wouldnt take the chance of having her turn on any 1,i know any dog can turn in the click of the finger even the softest of them,

we were told 2 cross it off as a staffy boxer X by the man who my brother got her off,as thats what he had done in the past,

hope u get the little thing sorted i hate any kind of violence and dispise animal abuse its wrong,i hope the dog it back to good health soon xx

12. claireandandy

claireandandy PetForums Member

just seen its a old post ha ha x

13. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Yep! posted over two years ago

14. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

i know this is an old thread but does the characteristics of the 'type' mean that if you did cross a GDS and a pitbull (as exampled in an earlier post) and it looked like a GDS it would be fine? but if it looked like a pitbull it wouldn't??? isn't this ridiculous???? :rolleyes:

15. xshelly_stanliex

xshelly_stanliex PetForums VIP

Yup thats exactly what it means it dosnt matter what breed or cross it is. It pitbull "types" that are banned , you could have a pure pitbull that dosnt have the characteristics of what the law classes as a pitbull type and it would be perfectly leagal, that is how messed up the law is.