are glade scented candles harming out kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mummiesofRio, Oct 25, 2009.

1. mummiesofRio

mummiesofRio PetForums Member

We got our 10 week old kitten on wednesday & had trouble with him being lethargic, vomiting a couple of times & going through extremes of eating - eating constantly & then very little.We took him to the vet twice & he was given an injection but told that otherwise, he was fine. Tonight we got worried as his breathing was very fast & shallow but realised that he seemed more lethargic when we had glade scented candles burning & so blew them out immediately, took him outside for some fresh air & shut the door to the room where the candles had been. He seems quite a bit better already but we are very angry that no information about these effects are stated on the candle packaging. Has anybody else had this trouble?

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Personally, no - but then I don't use air fresheners like glade as they make my chest tight (asthma like). So it would seem possible they could affect a kitten too.

3. mummiesofRio

Thank you for your reply, After looking it up on the internet & seeing that they can cause respiratory irritation and even death, i can't believe it's not stated on the packaging!

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

I stopped using the Glade plug-ins because they are meant to be bad for my rats' little lungs as they are full of chemicals

5. Spearmint

Spearmint PetForums Senior

we use scented candles - is this not wise? :eek:

not noticed any ill effects on our 2 kittens though

6. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

Yip, it is a well know fact! Lots of things around the house can be toxic to cats. They are soooo much more sensitive than dogs.:(

Most of these things do have "may be harmful to animals/pets" in very small writing on the back. But not all.....

Hope your wee kitten picks up now you have discovered the cause! x

7. mummiesofRio

Thank you, so do I, poor little man, breaks my heart seeing him like this & so angry that it could've been prevented. We read the packaging before we used it & because it had no warning, we went ahead. His breathing is still fast although improved slightly. He's been in a very well ventilated room, well away from anything remotely smelly for the last couple of hours but is eating when we've offered it, which is good. We only got him on Wednesday, it's amazing how attatched you can become to them in such a short space of time!

8. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

Remember give the vets a phone if you are ever worried, they will be more than happy to give free advice over the phone if your a client! And advise whether they think they may need to see the wee guy again.
    Yes, they sneak into our hearts very quickly, don't they..... x x x

9. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i used to use the automatic air freshner but stopped coz it was causing me problems so i dread to think wat it was doin the the cats.

cats have a much more sensitive sence of smell so i dnt like to use anythin scented incase its too much for them.

hope your kitty feels better soon. best to keep an eye and then phone the vets if ya worried

10. ccarriee

ccarriee PetForums Junior

Is it a really bad idea to burn incense or scented oils in the same room as cats? My mother has always done this, and I haven't noticed any problems either. I do keep the incense holder high up on the mantlepiece, far away from my kittens, but now I'm a little concerned.

11. mummiesofRio

I was researching this subject online last night & was shocked by some of the things i found....
    - ALL essential oils are harmful to cats

- scented candles are harmful even when they aren't burning (spores in the air)

- they emit/ contain various substances which are extremely harmful to small pets

- cats skin actually soaks up the junk that comes from these candles, so not only are they breathing it in, it's getting in through their pores

"These issues are significant enough that some websites actually warn against using Glade® or other scented candles around pets. The amount of cabon monoxide, soot and (poor quality) essential oils emitted with the burning are actually lethal to cockatiels and other birds, and are considered toxic to both pets and humans."

Boy, am i glad i looked it up....