Anyone with a Cat Mate water fountain

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dom85, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I'm thinking of buying one of these and just wondering how often you have to change the filters?

2. Ali82

Ali82 PetForums Senior

I think they say monthly but to be honest I have taken the filter out of mine, I change the water every other day so can't really see much point in it.

3. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

I tried a Cat Mate fountain but my cats didn't like it. It's more of a 'waterfall' into a bowl than an actual fountain.

I currently have the 'Catit' fountain (in pink :eek:). This is much more of a fountain, where the cats only get to drink moving water, there is no bowl part available to them.

It probably depends on the cat tbh but my 4 love the one i have :)

Catit Fresh Clear Small Drinking Fountain 50053 Cat Drinking Fountains for Sale

4. marlie

marlie PetForums Junior

What is the point of having the filter then? I thought that changing the water was a daily job anyway :)

Does it keep water cool(-er) than if we left it in the water bowl?

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

it keeps the water fresher - the filter is only very necessary if you have hard/chlorine heavy water I find

I took it out of mine but before that I changed once a week cos my dog shared the fountain and he drooled - ick - slimed up the filter.

you can refil the filters to save money - a clean scouring pad and some aquarium filter charcoal!

6. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Hmm, the catit one seems to have mixed reviews.

I do live in a hard water area though so I prefer the idea of re-filling them, thanks IndysMamma

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm waiting for delivery of that very fountain.Hope I dont hear anything bad.I did post a thread and the results seemed positive.

8. KittehNom

KittehNom PetForums Member

I have a catit one and it's great. I chose it over the 'waterfall' style ones as there was less potential for my kitten to make a mess by batting the water everywhere!

One of the best things I have bought for him by far :) he drinks loads more now and I am constantly having to top it up in between cleanings for him.

Really great and minimal noise too compared to my friends' cats drinkwell fountain.

X

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am very happy with the Catmate fountain. Hard water can be an issue though with scale building up and attracting dirt....I have found that cleaning the whole unit thoroughly with a micro-fibre cloth sorts this issue out without scratching the plastic surface.

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Indysmamma....can you provide a link to the aquarium charcoal you use so I know I get the right stuff? :)

11. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

That would be useful IndysMamma, do you use the carbon granules or the pads? My brother uses a clean scouring pad and the granules I think in his fish tank but does that work in the fountain?

12. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I don't a link for it - I buy it by the scoop from a local aquarium store. It's just 'Activated Charcoal Granules' - looks like gravel.

13. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Thank you, I'll nick some off of my brother then :D

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Thanks, I will look out for that!