Advice on Looking for your lost / missing cat

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Cats' started by petforum, Jan 23, 2009.

1. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Heres some very good advice to hekp find your cat or kitten if they have gone missing :

1. Posters, Posters, Posters with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace however it's best to put posters in plastic wallets so if it rains they don't go all soggy - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way). Also put one in your and friends cars - it amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area. It is a good idea to offer a reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money … a box of cho-colates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.

2. Knock on doors and ask neighbours to check their sheds and garages WHILE YOU WAIT … it's surprising how many people say they will check but as soon as the door is closed they forget. Knock on 10 doors either side of your house on both sides of the street.

3. Register him lost at all vets/catteries/rescue homes within a 20mile radius. Follow the link and click on the map to find rescues in your area Cat Rescue Shelters, Sanctuaries and Rehoming Groups - UK

4. Leave food out and a toy of his

5. Leave out an unwashed item of your clothing

6. Put the contents of your hoover bag on your garden - it’s full of smells that they will recognise and if doesn’t bring him directly to your door will at least hopefully keep him in the area. Alternatively if you have a litter tray that has used put some of the used litter on the garden as this will have familiar smells in it.

7. Contact the local fire brigade and see if they have had to rescue any stuck cats

8. Ask the local children to look - they are great for knowing all the local hidey-holes and love helping. Also have a word with your local post-person and milk man if there is one that delivers in your area. Also try and enlist the help of people walking dogs as they tend to go “off road” in the fields and parks.

9. Ask the local radio station to announce he’s missing and give out a contact number

10. Put an advert in the local paper

11. Contact your local environmental services dept (bin men) they keep a log of all animals picked on the roadside ... I know this is not a pleasant call to make and hopefully it will come back as negative.

12. Go out after dark when it is quieter with a friend / partner and walk round the local area gently calling every so often (give him a chance to answer you). Keep talking as you walk round that way if he is in the area he will hear you.

13. When you talk to vets and rescues, ask them about any known local feral colonies and where they are based. If Kitty has been missing for more than a few days s/he might have wandered further afield and might be “hanging round” near a colony for security (safety in numbers) and company. If vets/rescues know locations of colonies, these might be useful to get some ideas of where to start looking.

14. If you have Pet Insurance check your policy to see if they will assist with advertising costs or reward costs for a lost cat. Some policies cover as much as £1000 of local advertising and upto £500 reward.

Finally have a look at these other sites - they are all EXCELLENT

Feline Forum - questions, answers and cat chat.

MyMoggy.com Lost Cats, Missing Cats and Found Cats of the UK. contact Sue at mymoggy.

TheHovel.Com - Feline Friendly Internet! :: View Forum - Lost Cat Reports [Public Access]

Missing Pets Register - Protect your pet with the UK National Missing Pets Database for lost pets

soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk

http://www.petsearchuk.org.uk/

A Missing Pet, found cats and found dogs and lost pets advertised.

Animal Search UK

Pet Rescue UK Promotes an adopt don't breed policy

LOST MY CAT - FOUND CATS HOMELESS DATABASE NATIONAL REGISTER

UK ANIMAL RESCUERS - LOST & FOUND

Found and lost pets!

and also your local rescue shelter/s websites too!

2. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Also to add when asking around rescue centres etc for both cat and dogs but mainly cats check with rspca or other charities hospitals as such alot further out than you would expect to find her as we have loads come in that are brought from a far distance that can only get treatment and kennels with us and the owners wouldnt think of ringing us we do try our best to put posters round the areas in the these occasions but just a tip:)

3. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Thank you that"s great Advice, i"m hoping i never have to use it again ..;)

4. Dirky47

Dirky47 Banned

Thank you for the great advice. I will always keep those tips in my mind whenever I'm losing a pet.

+rep!

5. Freda Song

Freda Song PetForums Newbie

Hope i never use it.;)

6. KateC

KateC PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice. Our Seal point Siamese is missing in Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne since yesterday and I have started to go through your list. Really helpful about the insurance, just checked and find covered for advertising and a reward, so will contact tomorrow.

7. peterson123

peterson123 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the great advice. I will always keep those tips in my mind..

8. ZoeM

ZoeM Owned by Sir Snaf the Young and Mara Mara Mars Bar

Great advice. Can I also add that facebook groups are amazingly helpful too. In liverpool we have scouse pets, and lost and found in liverpool groups. There is also harveys army - who will go out and scan deceased cats/dogs before they get taken away by the council. They will often come out and scan found cats/dogs - they are amazing.

Cheers

9. colin robinson

colin robinson PetForums Newbie

It is also worth checking local selling sites on facebook as many people post the 'stray' cats that they are feeding. Also if searching at night, walk a distance from your house, and call the cat as you walk back towards home, stopping and listening as you call. That way you are leading the cat towards home instead of away from home.