Advice on courses/career with dogs

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Lolapop87, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Lolapop87

Lolapop87 PetForums Junior

Hi I'm looking into dog training and behaviour as it's something I've been thinking about and wanting to do for a while now but it's knowing where to start etc.i know practical experience is essential but just wondering if anyone knows of any good courses? Also any books and other things that may help me learn more.any advice would be greatfully appreciated

2. Frolicking Ferrets

Frolicking Ferrets Ferret YouTuber

Hi, Derby college do a dog training course, it's short (5-6 weeks, I can't remember) but from what I hear, it's good. It costs £80 and its classes are in the early evenings after normal college hours have finished.
    As for useful resources, there's some good YouTube channels which you can learn from, if you wants links to useful channels, send me a private message :)

3. Carrie stuthridge

Carrie stuthridge PetForums Newbie

there are a lot of options out there and is very confusing!

I went to Crufts a few years ago and spoke to all of the providers and went with IABTC to get me started. I also know IMDT are very good (a trainer friend trained with them and I plan on doing some of their courses). i spent 2 years studying so far, but there is always more to learn.
    so if you can get to Crufts, its a great starting place!

ref books, i have over a 100 and there are always more I am after, How Dogs Learn is a fab one to start with.
    Start training your own dog to a high level as well and get as much experience with a range of breeds as possible.

Katalyst likes this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sarah whitehead Think Dog courses are good but expensive ! she also does a practical course. http://www.thinkdog.org/

You have to buy or borrow books for the courses.

Books I found useful How Dogs learn -birch and baily
    canine body language by Brenda aloff

5. Lolapop87

Lolapop87 PetForums Junior

Thank you for the advice,I appreciate it a lot as it's hard to know where to start,it is confusing but will a look into what you have suggested

Carrie stuthridge and kimthecat like this.