Advice needed- should I adopt these cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by egyptianreggae, May 31, 2012.

1. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Aw, take them. Do not take them with the attitude that it is a "trial". Cats can take a long time to adjust to a new situation. "Trials" do not work with cats.

Cats don't care how much living space they have as long as it is not a cage. Three cats in a one bedroom apartment is fine. As long as they have enough elevated space, a window or two to look out of and sleep in, and plenty of interactive attention, canned food meals three times a day, clean litter boxes, they don't need a mansion.

What's most important is that those cats stay together and find a loving forever home. If you can provide that, then it's win win.

2. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

OK- have been back from holiday now for a day. Did try to forget cats while I was away but wasn't successful...went to shelter today and....decided that I cannot commit to having three cats with my current limited space, so I won't be adopting these gorgeous three boys.

However, while I was there I also met and fell in love with a beautiful longhaired tortoiseshell and white housecat called Sunflower. She's 13 and has a penchant for licking people's hands like a dog... I was handed Sunflower to hold and five minutes later, carefully extricating her huge white paws from my t shirt and wiping the dribble from my hands, I'd made my decision. She's coming home next week:)

3. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

She sound's perfect for you! Looking forward to lots of pictures :)

4. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Aww, such a shame about the three boys, but great news about Sunflower! I hope we'll be flooded with pictures :D

5. egyptianreggae

Thank you! She seems a calm and placid older lady, I'm looking forward to curling up on the sofa with her and watching films, and she's looking forward to seeing the back of the bolshy tabby in the pen next door (quite a bit of hissing and spitting going on today!) her age just made it seem even worse she was in the shelter, I just feel that at her time of life she should be relaxing and being spoilt rather than being in that stressful environment. If the vet says she's good to go next Wednesday, I'll be right there to bust her out! Here's a link to her page at the shelter... Sunflower (Domestic Semi Long Hair Cat) | Rehoming

6. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Oh my, she is a beauty! :001_wub:

7. egyptianreggae

:) thank you! I feel proud on her behalf. It was so hard giving up the three cats but I think in the end, I did the right thing and I'm happy with my decision. I hope they find a great home now with loads of room.

8. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

she is lovely, congrats for helping an oldie. I hope you can spoil her for many, many years.

9. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

everything happens for a reason :) congratulations, can't wait to see photos :D

10. HeartofClass

HeartofClass PetForums VIP

You are so amazing, listening to everyone's advice and rationally going about this!! Most new members we get aren't like that, sorry to say... But luckily those who are like you tend to stick around, so please stick around and spoil us with more photos of the beautiful Sunflower and updates on how she's settling in! :) Thank you for helping out an older cat, they are often the most unwanted, I think it's safe to say the cat lovers' community all over the world is greatful to you :D

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sunflower is really beautiful!:001_wub: So glad, as others have said, you are giving an older cat a home:thumbup: All too often they end up spending far too long in the Shelters, sometimes the rest of their lives. :(

I adopted a 14 yr old from a Shelter over a year ago. He had been in the Shelter for 4 mths and was very stressed out and miserable. Because of his temperament (very independant, hates being told what to do:D) I expected a few problems getting him settled in to my home. It did take about 10 mths before he seemed to feel he belonged. But I have never for a moment regretted taking him.:)

Very best wishes in developing a close/loving relationship with the lovely Sunflower (what a fab name btw!). Please keep us posted with updates.:)