Adult teeth absorbed by gum

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by gentoo1980, Oct 12, 2013.

1. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Hiya, my cat Mina felt chesty when I picked the up five weeks ago so took her to the vets, her chest was fine but one of her front fangs was being absrobed back into the gum. She an ulcer on lip and vet said she's figthing something but no meds were given.

She said the other front fang (she had no teeth when I took her for a dental check two yeat ago, stray cat I took in) and said that, that one might absorb to.

Been busy and decided to google it last week. Though I'd read that SOME cat will be in pain but read again last night it's all. Can't belive the vet didn't tell me that.

Anyways for the past week I've been keeping close eye on her, she does flinch when I stroke her head but thought she was just nervous. Thursday she was trying to stoke one of my kittens to play and everytime he apporached her she hissed so sure now she's in pain.

Phoned vet up thursday and he prescribed Painkillers. I asked if she stops flinching can I wait till I rehome kittens before getting her other tooth remove and he said yes.

Last night I gave her the Metacam and tried to check her other fang and it's gone. I've searched google and can't find how long it take for a tooth to get absorbed, was hoping someone here will know or does it sound like the tooth just falled out?

I'm having hard time of looking in her mouth, it looked red where her tooth was and maybe a bit swollen but I dunno.

I read a different website 2am this morning that mentioned about tar having bacteria on it and infecting the gum with bacteria which can spead bacetia to different parts of the cats body so obviosuly quite worried.

I've had really bad insomnia past two weeks and been flat out alseep all day so couldn't take her in but will be booking her in tomorro as open surgary.

Any advice greatly appreaciated.

Oh I forgot to add, she was gulping Friday but that's stopped, her throught doesn't look like it's swelled up. She's eating and sleeping fine, puring when I stroe her ect..

#1 gentoo1980, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

That is strange,it sounds very much like what happened to catcoonz cat, her teeth suddenly disappeared, wonder if its the same thing,her cats head was painful too I believe,
    Look up URGENT , by catcoonz, it was all very strange, in the morning the cats teeth were there ,but all gone when she went home that night, and no sign of them

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The correct term is Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions (FORL) and yes, it is extremely painful. So painful in fact that a cat will actually react to it being probed even under anesthesia.

Please be careful with the metacam. I know it is approved for feline use in the UK, but it is known to cause kidney failure in cats and should never be prescribed without first doing blood work on the cat to ensure the kidneys are healthy.

It is not something I would ever use in a cat, with the possible exception of nothing to lose end of life pain. But there are other choices, even then.

Hope your girl doesn't lose too much weight until she can have her surgery. Cats hide pain instinctively. They also purr when in pain as well as when they are happy.

4. gentoo1980

jaycee05 thanks for the relpy. I don't think it's same thing as catacoons's cat but obviously worried that Mina might end up with a gum infection after reading that thread last month.

I've had auwful Insomnia lalety and it's been making me feel really ill so was flat out again asleep all day. Will be booking her in tomorro and will be asking for a different vet to look at her.

I'm gutted she's obviously been in so much pain. I even think she should have been given anti-biotics but hopfully I'm wrong. She's been gulping a bit now so not sure if she's got an infection.

5. gentoo1980

lorilu thanks, I didn't know that Metacam was linked kidney failure. My cat George was on it after he had his arm removed and when he went for a check up with a nurse a week or two later she asked if I was still giving him meds. I thought she meant the anti-biotics so I said no and carried of giving him metacam for another two weeks. I'm not the brighest bulb in the box and assumed if you had a limb removed you'd need painkillers for a month so only stopped when vet realised I was still given them to him.

He started loosing weight three year later and then had to be put to sleep because his kidneys and now his liver were failing. I always thought it was the metacam but never googled as was too hard back then.

He also used to get painkillers every now and then as he couldn't seem to to get a cat bite or even scratch without it turning into an abcess so was always as the vets.

I'm not sure they'll do dental now as the tooth last month had allmost fully been absobred (I think) and the full fang she had last month seems to have dissapeared. It doesn't look as red now, I think it's fallen out.

I was told by my vet that she thinks the cat flu she had when she lived on the street could have causes gum desease and made all but her two front teeth fall out but I'm now wondering it it's been Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions.

6. bella2013

bella2013 PetForums VIP

h thats sounds painful, our toooth ache is bad enough, i cant bare the thought of what your kitties going through, i so hope you get to the bottom of her problem.

and its a bit worrying about the metacam too. might stop bellas.

7. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't give metacam for long either, one of mine had a kitten left after giving birth to 2, she had an op to remove it and a spay at the same time
    I couldn't believe the amount of tablets ABs etc plus metacam, then they said she neede a tooth out, but took 3 ,more metacam, only about 2 weeks after I took her for a checkup and another vet said she needs a tooth out,
    I was fuming, and told her to look on their computer,she had just had 3 out, so I said no, another 2 weeks approx. and she developed ulcers on her tongue,and was drinking a lot,
    I googled it which came up with kidney failure, so asked for a kidney blood test,vet said not kidneys,need a full blood test,
    I insisted kidney only, vet had to admit it WAS kidneys, so had to be put to sleep
    She was a healthy 4 year old when she went in, too much metacam.a no no
    I hope you poor cat recovers

8. gentoo1980

She's seen another vet today. The full fang she had last month has falled out but it's healed fine. The other fang it still visable but it's swollen and vets says she must be in pain and she's booked into get it removed Thursday.

I enquired about a kidney test, she's only 4 or 5 years old but vet said it would be best to check because she's a cat flu carrier. I didn't know Herpes virus could effect kidneys, so going to get her bloods done.

I'm worried she'll get cat flu because of the stress of the operation. She'll be kept in my house and Peaches and her kittens will be next door at my mums but still scared I'll managed to spread it to the kittens.

She didn't need an anti-biotics which is good.

Thanks for the replys, will try and take her off the metcam as soon as possible. Hopfully she'll have a different pain killer after the operation.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thanks for the update! My boy who had the resoprtive lesions also had the herpes virus. Do you give your cat l-lysine to control flare ups?

I've never seen anything about a correlation between the two, but I am starting to wonder...I know another cat with FHV who also had FORL.

I'll be thinking of you and Mina on Thursday. xx

10. gentoo1980

The first vet I taked to about her missing teeth a few year ago said she thinks it's possible that she's had gum disease because of cat flu and today another vet said that she thinks the FORL has been caused by the virus.

Bebe was from the same cat colony, suffering from Herpes virus as well. She had to have three teeth removed when I had her speyed so I guess it must be linked but then Bebe was four and a half. Mina was just under two year when I took her in.

I haven't tried L-Lysine yet. I was told last month about it and when I went up town they only sell it in tabet form. I'll buy some online now, thanks.

11. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

I don't like metacam myself, but sometimes it is unavoidable and it really works well on serious inflammation.

12. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Metacam is ok in small doses or an injection, but my cat was given too much plus 3 different lots of ABs and I am certain that gave her kidney failure, her kidneys were fine until all that,and she went downhill very quickly .she was only 4

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I don't agree. Metacam is never okay. And the injection..once a cat has that injection, she or he should never ever have metacam again. EVER. It is meant for one time, single, for life, use.

In the USA metacam is not approved for use in cats (with the exception of that ONE TIME for life injection), though some vets continue to prescribe it. In fact a law was passed that it must state on the box of the metacam label, enclosed in a bold black box "Do Not Use In Cats"

I'm sorry for your loss of your kitty. Metacam should not be used in cats.

14. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I actually queried this with my vet,as I had read on the internet that it wasn't suitable for cats,he said there was one now that was and that is what he was giving her
    I will look it uop again now I have read this, I did mean a one off injection, re; small doses

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It's the same medicine. What your vet means is that it is sold in dosages "suitable" for cats. It's still metacam and it can still cause acute kidney failure. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

16. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

My vet gave me Metacam for our older cat a few weeks ago as he has the calci virus and a dry eye, together with Optimmune which when I ordered it I found was only for dogs, they don't do it for cats and it did warn of a risk to other animals. I even contacted the company I was buying from for advice on using it on a cat and they advised me to weigh up the risks with my vet which didn't give me confidence. I already knew about problems with Metacam so after much thought, I decided as he didn't appear to be in pain, not to use either and have continued with his eyedrops and fucitherm. I'm supposed to go back now for a check to see if things have improved but shan't be going as I haven't obeyed vet's orders!

17. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Oral Metacam used to be given in the USA but for some reason it was licensed at a higher dosage than over here so obviously the potential for overdose was horrific. As far as I'm aware the single use injection doesn't mean only once in a lifetime. I can't understand why it should be. It's an NSAID which mustn't be allowed to build up to dangerous levels just like paracetamol in humans. When indicated and used properly I have found it to be a perfectly acceptable drug. Dosage and underlying conditions must have something to do with the extreme reactions people report.

18. gentoo1980

Mina's back home. She looks really good, thought she'd be more groggy.

I've missplaced her bottle of metacam so she didn't have have any yesterday morning. She's been given an injection of metacam today which should last 48 hours and I shouldn't have to give her anymore.

Really sorry it seems more people have lost their cats to this drugs.

Oh and her blood test showed her kidneys were healthy. I'd post a photo but I lost my camera months ago.

19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

FDA Announces Addition of Boxed Warning to METACAM® (meloxicam) Labels

visit:

http://metacamkills.com/

And a vet's opinion based on her own research:

http://is-it-true-that.askavetquestion.com/is-it-true-that-metacam-kills-cats/

20. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Repeated use means within a short space of time, not only once in a lifetime. It's interesting to note that the dose in the USA is now in line with elsewhere. It used to be 50% more so it's no wonder there were problems with a toxic build up. If there's an underlying condition then it's contra indicated completely and even once wouldn't be OK but I'd have thought that was straight common sense.

I can only go by my own experience and I've used it many a time without incident.