About Charlie.... some questions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IndysMamma, Mar 26, 2012.

1. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

As I posted elsewhere - we have a second dog now, an almost 2 year old springer (liver and white) called Charlie

He needed a new home as he kept escaping his previous home and generally being a bit much - fully vacc'd and so on and already neutered

At the moment he cannot go offlead unless in a max security field as he *will* head for the hills - we can only get to the secure field occasionally as it's nearly 20 miles away

So we were thinking - for him to get more out of his leashed walks - should we get him a backpack? add a little weight to help him get a bit more out of the walks and also give him some 'purpose' as he seems very much to need a 'job' at all times

Earlier I was painting the wood for the new gates and he was holding a spare paintbrush for me, sat next to me the whole time

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Can you not let him on a longline? I got a 100ft one on ebay that should give him plenty of running about room :)

I've no experience about backpacks but it does sound like he wants a job to do.

3. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I'm probably just spouting nonsense but I just have a bad feeling about backpacks. I worry that they may put a strain on the back (kind of like having an overweight dog) if they had uneven weight distribution surely that would be bad too and if you don't weight then they aren't they just a coat with pockets... as i say just my uneducated gut feeling.

If he likes carrying things. could you use that to your advantage let him carry a toy and periodically bring it to you on walks? just a thought.

#3 moonviolet, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    Jenny Olley likes this.
  4. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

If he likes to work,can you take a dummy and a long line and start him off,or if you can't take a dummy,some treats and play find it,in the undergrowth.That's how I got my beagle more focused on me,as he had a tendancy to run for the hills:eek:

Jenny Olley likes this.
  5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

we long line him on the field but I can't down the canals as I discovered - he spends more time sitting waiting for the longline to be untangled from reeds/bushes than he spends walking - and with the nice weather we are now struggling on the field with the longline as he tangles with Biggles, Children, me...

the backpack I was looking at puts the weights near the shoulders to prevent back strain and the weights you can buy to go with it are 50g each and are like diver's weights so you know it's even

Oh his retrieval sucks - we are trying to teach him to carry a dumbell but he's only been here 48 hours so was looking for other ways to help boost his value from leash walks

Am waiting to hear from a friend and the behaviourest that arranged for us to take Charlie to see if we can take him to the secure field every Thursday to let him run off the crazy and do training

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If the Long line gets tangled in certain situations, a Flexi Giant should give him more freedom and you have the benefits of the retraction and the brake too. The flexi Giant is wide webbing all the way through and the power of this lot hasnt been enough to bust any of them over the years. With a well fitting harness they are great.

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast ¡Me encantan las cabras!

So, hunny, with my nearly two year olds, they're walked on easy walk harnesses and a flexi (yeah, shoot me). With Zak, it's constant stimulation, training with recall, treats, watch me commands, change direction all the time, meet people (not dogs! :rolleyes:), do ball retrieval with a longline that is dropped and can be stood on if he looks like he's not coming back voluntarily.

His recall has hugely improved, and hopefully Charlie's will, particularly if Biggles is good at this.

Erm, where's the thousand pictures? :mad: :D

#7 cinnamontoast, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. Mollyspringer

Mollyspringer PetForums Senior

I was just going to ask about the photos!!!!!

9. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

the pics are on his intro thread

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/227333-new-addition-charlie-here.html

;)

am gonna move him onto a stronger, heavier longline as soon as it arrives - at mo using Biggles' puppy longline I got in his puppy starter pack

hopefully will have more control and less tangles on the 'proper' longline

his recall on the longline/flexi is *perfect* which is what makes it so frustrating- I have taken him down the canals on the flexi and it also tangles in the reeds like it *wants* too! if I lock it off short enough that he can't dive in the reeds then I may as well use a short lead

We start agility lessons in April with him, the secure field the school is on is where I will be taking him to 'run off the crazy'

because it's totally secure we can do offlead recall training as at moment, because his prev owner rarely let him off he just gets *sooo* excited when he's offlead his brain turns off! but unfortunately none of the places I have locally are secure enough to let him off so have to find a lift to and from the training field - hopefully he will learn that offlead is normal and learn to chill out - I think once he relaxes about it he will recall fine.

found out a friend with a springer has a backpack we can borrow and use for the walk to and from the field (5-10 mins each way) just to up his exersion and give him that 'job' he wants - even if all he carries are the tennis balls :p

10. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast ¡Me encantan las cabras!

Try the equestrian section on eBay for a dazzling area of longlines!

11. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

I have to ask, is this your first 'Springer, if so you should realise that they are a very ' High drive breed, especially if he's from a working line, try somehow to introduce a hunting element into his play, hide dummies in bushes and make him work for them. Certainly try a long lead if it helps but keep it in mind that springers love to hunt. I'm bringing on a young one at the moment, I have no problems in getting him to hunt, all I'm working on is stopping him from getting too carried away and hunting in the next county. Good luck.

12. Mollyspringer

Mollyspringer PetForums Senior

Sorry, I missed that post yesterday. He's lovely and so is Biggles. So glad they are getting on well. Keep us posted as to how they're getting on xx

13. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I dont like the idea of back packs either, or not for a Springer anyway. Perhaps its different for other breeds.
    It sounds like a training/exercise issue to me. I''ve found mostly that dogs who get enough exercise dont need to try and escape.
    I'm sure give him time to settle , put some work in and he'll be fine. Good luck, and I bet in a few weeks time you'll say hes fab now

14. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

he's Springer #3

I had Max for 14.5 years until lost to old age

Biggles (17 weeks) was bought in Feb, came home

and just rehomed Charlie as his previous owner couldn't cope and you cannot let him offlead at all yet unless in *very* secure areas as he will head for the hills and has so far (before we got him) caused chaos on motorways, other roads, in a bird sanctuary and several gardens as he escaped his previous owner either from garden or on walks.

At the moment I only have our garden and *very* limited access to a secure field so I have to find a way to increase the exercise value of his leash walks just temporarily whilst we work on his recall and other basics

Our garden is pretty overgrown so we are doing dummies hidden in the bushes/long grass and I have a horse lunge rein on order for use as a heavy duty longline to avoid some of the issues with the light one/flexi tangling in the reeds

We also have agility training

In the home we are doing 'find it' games to search and retrieve toys - though at the moment he doesn't retrieve so we are working on that too

I've only had him since Saturday morning so a long way to go yet :p

15. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

If I had a dog like yours I would harness (scuse the pun) his nose and desire to hunt in a controlled fashion by training him to track.

This will tire him out both physically and mentally, give him (and you) plenty of exercise whilst still on a harness and line.

No need for him to retrieve as he can track for food.

16. spaniel04

spaniel04 PetForums Member

You have got my full sympathy. A bogoff spaniel is a total nightmare and it is the number one reason young spaniels end up in rescue or are otherwise looking for a rehome.
    The trouble is, he will now be so used to free hunting, that it has become a habit; a habit he will crave like an addict craves crack cocaine.
    Last summer I took on a spaniel with a very similar problem amongst a few others:yikes:
    I am very lucky to have access to a large field which I use for training. I have been doing the same thing day in and day out, morning and evening for several months now and I have now got a dog who will hunt at very close range, 2-3 yards either side of me and no more than a yard in front of me. Some people call him a boot polisher :p
    I use his food ration morning and evening (tin Chappie or raw minced lamb, beef etc, not kibble) and reward him for each and every return or reorientation to me.
    This sort of training does several things in one go. The hand feeding (he has not eaten a single meal out of a bowl since I had him) has created an incredibly strong bond between us, he has learned to move from side to side following my movements always crossing close in front of me and his recall is 100%.
    You asked for opinions on a back pack, well in my opinion it is not going to work. Carrying something on its back is not in a springer's job description. Your dog will always want to hunt, which is ok, as long as you teach him the rules.