A few questions on different cat breeds

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by YS2001, Jun 19, 2017 at 1:50 AM.

1. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums Member

Yes, they need company. I would suggest getting two so they can play with each other if you're going to be away in the day for long periods.

YS2001 likes this.
  2. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Member

no no no to the Scottish fold for the same reasons mentioned above!

I have a BSH

He does shed a lot - it is like fluffy angora rather than the hair of a moggy luckily cody adores being brushed and I then let it float out of the window in the hope that the local birds are feathering their nests with it!

I like to think Cody loves me best! he does follow me from room to room but I think that is probably because I am the one that usually gives him his food and treats! (and brushes him on demand!)

Cody is left alone for approximately four hours about three times a week but that is simply because of our working patterns, youngest son is home at lunch time and works weekends, I work office hours during the week and am around for most of the weekend. When he is on his own he seems to just sleep, usually on my bed or my son's bed if he has left the door open accidentally. When we are home we play with him a lot, he is probably glad when we go out so he can have a rest!

Naughty - hmm it depends how you define naughty! We had to go around and block every possible small space we thought he might get into when he was a kitten and he still managed to jump into the tumble dryer when my back was turned (luckily it was not being used and I spotted him straight away!) and also on one memorable occasion he actually got inside the sofa! He also chewed wires! we bought some special plastic wire protector with the lovely smell of citrus and covered every wire we could find until he grew out of it, he also pulled up the carpet a few times (presumably looking for where we had hidden the wires!)

Despite all of the above we all adore him, he is one spoiled little boy, now two years old, he is my fluffy cuddly teddy bear and I wouldn't be without him!

YS2001 likes this.
  3. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

My Ozzy and Loki summed up perfectly :D

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

As a breeder of Persians, and recently Exotics, I can answer for the Exotics.

1. All cats shed. All of these will shed.
    2. Yes and no. It depends on the line. The current line I am working with are Velcro cats. When their chosen person is in the house, they will follow them from room to room, cuddle them, shout at them to be picked up. however, if that person goes out, then the cat is all over the other family members with the same love and devotion. When in, they still show affection, but it's more reserved than when their hunnybunch is not around. So yes, they are Ok with everyone, but do have a preference.

3. 6 hours a day is a little long for a kitten on its own. That being said, I have homed one into these circumstances as I could see that, even at 13 weeks, he was happy to snooze the day away and wouldn't miss the company. I also knew that he was a family cat, and they weren't a busy family, i.e out all the time taking kids to football etc, so every evening he'd have more love and company than he'd know what to do with... It worked out very well!

4. Again, very much depende on the line and even the kitten. In the last litter alone, I had 3 little angels, 2 tear aways, and one devilishly naughty little madam! Any good breeder will be able to see the potential long, long before you choose your kitten, or at least, I can. You can tell the pushy ones from the way they interact in the nest, what they do wh

YS2001 likes this.
  5. YS2001

YS2001 PetForums Newbie

Do you have a website? I may be interested as you seem like a good breeder and one member of our family is very interested in exotics. Also what do you mean by line?

6. Franlow

Franlow PetForums Member

You would be better off getting 2 & to be completely truthful, it sounds like you have never had a cat before? You really would be better off with a moggie, or a slightly older rescue.
    Personally I would say, unless you are experienced, give ALL the Orientals a wide berth - Bengal, Siamese, Burmese, oriental shorthair, Balinese, Tiffanie etc they can be adorable, well behaved & trainable, or, they can be an absolute nightmare - most cat behaviourists will tell you the biggest problems are caused by these cats - especially Burmese & Bengals
    DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT A SCOTTISH FOLD
    My British shorthairs are moulting for England & to be truthful, they don't look like stopping any time soon. They don't like being picked up & don't give a monkeys about humans, all they are interested in is food.
    This kind of leaves the Birman, they are really beautiful & not a breed I know anything about.

YS2001 likes this.
  7. YS2001

YS2001 PetForums Newbie

I've heard the Tiffanie hates being alone, is this true? Also by moggie do you mean cross breed, i've heard this term before. And yes, I mentioned in my original post that this will be our first cat. :)

#27 YS2001, Jun 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:19 PM
  8. Franlow

Franlow PetForums Member

Most kittens are not happy being alone. I do have to ask, why a pedigree for your first kitten?
    Before you get into it further. You mention family members - how old is the youngest? The vast majority of cats really don't like young children & no matter how well you supervise them, you have to understand, they WILL get scratched & kittens have the right to be left in peace, not dragged around when humans want to play. You may find your kitten is lovely, outgoing, social & friendly. It could also be the worlds biggest scaredy cat. Read the sticky Finding a Pedigree Cat
    It will explain how to go about it.
    For my two penneth as my Dad would say. NEVER buy a cat in your situation from Gumtree / preloved etc. You are not experienced enough to spot an ill cat, or a 'fake pedigree' etc
    Take the family for a day out to your local blue cross / Celia Hammond / foal farm / Battersea cats & dogs rescue centre. Ask the staff some questions, look at what is on offer. Do you want an indoor cat, or, will you let it out?
    Do you have a garden? How safe is the area? Do you have enough money for vets fees / spaying / food / insurance etc.
    How often do you go on holiday? Cattery fees can cost almost as much as an extra adult & NO, you cannot just put lot of food & water down & leave them. There are an awful lot of questions you need to ask yourself before, you get a kitten & NO, I am not trying to put you off.
    My vets fees last year were £7,200 for just 2 cats ( both of which died) without the insurance claims for 2 others of nearly £5,000. Do you have that kind of money? I don't need an answer to that BTW, not being nosey :) Any animal can be expensive, but paying £600+ for an animal, does not mean it is going to be healthier, usually quite the opposite. You then hve to ask yourself, do we have the time / attention to give to this animal for possibly 20 years +, my oldest was 27.
    You may have asked all these questions before you came on here & I hope you did, you may not have though. DON'T make a decision in haste.
    Good luck xx

YS2001 likes this.
  9. YS2001

YS2001 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the help, I have been researching, and that's why I came here to make sure that I have understood everything correctly. We are a family of 3 and our youngest family member is 16. Yes, we do have a garden but the fences aren't secure and the cat could easily get out. Our area is pretty safe and very quite. I always see cats roaming the area. We go on holiday at least once a year. I was wondering why a pedigree is a bad idea for us? I have seen on the internet people recommending to buy pedigree's. And secondly, how much money do you think will be spent each year on average for a cat, everything included?

10. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Most reputable breeders will require you to make an undertaking to keep the cat safe and not allow it to roam free.

YS2001 likes this.
  11. Smuge

Smuge PetForums Senior

They are cats, they all do this.

12. Faye1995

Faye1995 PetForums Senior

Hope we're not putting you off!!!

Got to say we've spent atleast £2000+ after having our kitten 4 months due to ill health. £950 of that was paid by the insurance - the rest was paid by us. We didn't expect this but luckily managed it. I would sell my OH car if our kitten needed to see a vet & we didn't have the money. Just wanted to let you know as I didn't expect to spend anything, some people are lucky and never have any problems or ill health with their cats, some like us are not as lucky. I'd do it all again though.
    Xx

YS2001 likes this.
  13. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

This is my first year spend

Insurance £12 per month
    Food £30 per month
    Vaccines £40
    Neutering £40
    Microchip £12
    Flea/worm treatment £4 per month
    Toys £4ish per month
    Litter £5 per month

The above ignores vet bills for illness, injury etc, which I think totalled £900.

A good pedigree breeder will ensure none of their cats are allowed out, unless in an enclosure, escape proof garden or on a lead.

YS2001 likes this.
  14. Franlow

Franlow PetForums Member

A pedigree isn't bad for you at all. It does seem, just because you have such diverse breeds that you are choosing from looks, as opposed to temperament.
    How about you say what you want from a cat & we make suggestions. Vets fees also differ widely depending on where you live - so does insurance.
    Plus, you need to add in cattery fees, travel to & from cattery. You will also need a cat carrier - buy for final size, not kitten size as something like a British shorthair with be a big cat. A litter tray, Grooming tools & shampoo if you need it. For my Maine coon, I need a degreaser, shampoo & conditioner for his twice yearly baths & they cost way more than mine & I use Aveda!
    Just bought a portable air conditioner for my old lady at £360+ as she is seriously overheating.
    You will probably buy 8-10 pet beds over their lifetime & chances are, they will sleep in the box it came in. You will need a large cat scratcher - either that, or they will use your furniture & there is every chance they will use your carpet anyway. I imagine you will have to upgrade your vacuum cleaner - especially if you get a longhaired variety. I would add that lot up & say add another £500 for all the cat food you will throw away in a lifetime - they will insist it is the mot delicious food ver & scoff every scrap, right up until you put in a bulk order at Zooplus, then every sachet is poisoned & they will not eat it!

Chellacat and YS2001 like this.
  15. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

The average cost of keeping a cat per year is around £1000 excluding any unexpected vert bills.

moggie14, Chellacat and YS2001 like this.
  16. Chellacat

Chellacat Sash's Devoted Servant

I tally'ed up what I spent on food for my Sasha's first year (he's 16 months) it came to £756 tha'ts excluding another 100-200 on food he didn't like that got donated to the local CPL. £50 for neuter, £50 for injections, £35 flea tratments, £60 on brushes, combes, de shedders and shampoo, £35 pair or pet clippers, cat tree £150, window bed £20, blankets £50, custom made harness jacket and lead £45, Cattery £120, pet carriers £60, Vet bill for minor fall £65, treats £52, toys £100, Sundries £60. Plus what I paid for him. First year cost excluding what I paid the breeder £1893.
    Oh and pet insurance, £14.95 a month. £179.40
    Grand Total to care for cats first year £2,072.40 or there abouts.
    It's a major commitment on not just money tho, it's time, you put just as much time and care into a cat as you do a tiny human, the difference is the cat won't start looking after it's self one day, he/she will always rely on you for time, affection and a high level of care. Good luck finding the right cat for you!

YS2001 and huckybuck like this.
  17. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

I have a mog and a pedigree. Both cost about £10 pcm insurance. I managed to get vaccines for life at £99. Blue was neutered at about £70. She cost over £400 to buy. Factor in toys, beds , scratchers , travel box, nail trimmers, brushes, treats and treatments for worms and fleas and thatseasily a few hundred pounds. Food comes in at about £70 per month for the two. Iv cost me £60 rescue donation

Both have claimed on insurance. I can honestly say that if I had children then I would not be able to afford them. They are healthy and fed good food. A pedigree will not be healthier. To be honest, I think many breeds have some sort of health issue.

I don't tot up the cost of broken china , scratched carpet and soft furnishings. I also pay for any vet treatment upto about £150. Both have had a few visits for antibiotics and one had steroids.

What I would say is make sure your breeder is genuine. The trade in pedigree cats is as bad as the dog breeders. There are too many back yard breeders out there peddling the current trendy breed. Check they are registered , ask akward questions about health and issues that affect your chosen breed. Most importantly (and I didn't do this) be prepared to walk if your gut instinct tells you something isn't right. Breeders know you will be pretty much hooked on seeing a kitten and commit. If the house doesn't feel right be tough

Glad you are asking questions and having a good think about it even though some answers might seem a bit tough.

Let us know what you decide

YS2001 likes this.
  18. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Yes, I dod have a website. Just google Moonspun cats. However, depending on when your family member wants a cat, I may or may not be suitable. My guys are on ice this year to give me a bit of breathing space, so I won't have anything till early next year.

YS2001 likes this.
  19. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Give the current heat, I wish I was too!!! ;)

lymorelynn and YS2001 like this.
  20. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Junior

Hi. If this is to be your first cat, then I would definitely advise visiting a reputable rescue centre, or better still, a few of them, and look at the older cats too. An older cat, apart from being more difficult to home (because almost everyone wants kittens) will already have an established character, and is likely to be calmer - though this is not guaranteed! Also, cats can and often do, live until a ripe old age; 18/19 and above is not uncommon and a lot of people who have not had animals before, are unprepared for this length of commitment. Sorry, I don't mean to sound patronising, but have seen too many beautiful fur babies chucked out or surrendered to rescue centres just because they lived too long for their owner's convenience. With all the traits associated with different breeds, remember that cats never read any of the books and individual personalities can and often do defy what they are supposed to like/dislike, etc. One of my cats from about ten years ago loved ice cream, but only the tropical flavoured cornetto type and would literally climb up me if I had one. Another loved orange juice, (although several people and a couple of written articles said that cats would never go near citrus fruit or drink) and would happily help herself if I left my glass unattended! Whatever you decide, and whatever cat you end up getting, I wish you years of happy slaving. I've had cats for over twenty years now, and can't imagine life without a cat or cats in it.

YS2001 and Paddypaws like this.