9 month old puppy sick overnight

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Shitzulover, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Shitzulover

Shitzulover PetForums Senior

My 9 month old shihtzu has been sick overnight for the previous two nights. He has always been crated overnight since we've had him at 12 weeks. He started limping after lying down for long periods but the vet could see nothing wrong. We decided to start putting him in the spare room without his crate so he can stretch out on the double bed in there and move as much as he wants to. Now the limp has gone but both nights he has been in there he has been sick.

The first morning after there was just a brown dried patch where he'd licked it back up. This morning there is two patches of dried up sick (remaining bits look like couscous).

If we didn't see the patches we wouldn't have a clue cause he's fine otherwise. I can see no evidence of him being sick in his crate. He has three meals a day with the last at 7 and has a dentastick around 9ish.

Could being in the spare room be making him poorly? I don't think it's his meals as he's had same food at same time for months.

2. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Is he sick during the day or just in the spare room? don't think the room will be making him sick unless he is chewing something in there How long has he been in the spare room?
    can you put his crate in there with the door open to the crate
    Maybe its upsetting him as he is not used to being in there If it carries on phone the vet

3. Shitzulover

Literally only at night in the spare room (it's been two nights). Otherwise he is completely normal and wouldn't have a clue anything was wrong.

We don't put him in there till we go to bed and both times he's been very tired and 'floppy' and just curls up as soon as I put him on the bed. He never makes a sound during the night either. Not that I hear anyway.

I'm going to leave his crate in there tonight too

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Try giving a couple of small biscuits before he goes to bed, some dogs are sick through the night because thy have nothing on their stomach . If it continues over the weekend I would think about having a word with your vet. Or if he starts being sick through the day .

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

How long has he been having dentastix? In spite of what they are supposed too do there is some real junk in the ingrediants, might be worth trying a few nights with no late dentistix and see if it makes any difference.

6. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Could be the dentastix as previously mentioned, i gave our 6 month old puppy a pedigree twist chew for first time yesterday and she threw it all up about 20 minutes later ( she wont be getting that again) Try some biscuits before bedtime see if that helps

7. Shitzulover

He's been having dentasticks for months too. It's just strange how it's only happened since being in the spare room overnight. There's nothing in there he can chew or eat which could make him sick.

8. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

It could well just be a coincidence.

We give all ours a couple of biscuits last thing before bed as some of them have a tendency to hunger puke if they get nothing between their tea and their breakfast.

If we don't give them biscuits sometimes they'll all be fine for ages then one or two of them will puke a few nights in a row so it's simpler just to give them 'supper' to make sure they'll be fine through the night.

9. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

If its only happened since he has been in the spare room maybe he feels upset and anxious as he is not used to being in there sort of like separation anxiety if you know what I mean