13 week old Rottweiler puppy - 2 nasty bites.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sjallen88, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bug...

Rott's do need all of the above your correct BUT force is never a way to train a dog, any breed, "flooring" a dog is not a way I consider training, yep plenty of different training methods out there many of them out dated!!

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

But you still haven't explained what you mean by "flooring".

3. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I take it you 'floor' your child [if you have any] for misbehaving then :confused: That's what you do to 'loved family members' after all

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Sorry if I misunderstood and it WASN'T you who said you 'floored your dog'. Only commenting on what was written, can't see what's wrong in that! We're still none the wiser in what that statement actually meant though!

ETA - if your dog is quite the angel now why do you have to 'floor' him at all? Could it be because your methods don't actually work? Just curious.

BTW 'flooring', if we all assume correctly, is just the same as hitting - it's still physical abuse however you choose to word it'

#44 Malmum, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  5. trawlerskipper

trawlerskipper PetForums Newbie

The point i was making was that if she was going to take her dog to Billericay they use the flooring method as a way of telling the dog off ( for want of a better word ) and she should make sure she is comfortable with this method.
    As a new owner i knew no other way but bowed to the greater knowledge of the trainers there and breeders. ( how else are we to choose ).
    I HAVE not had to floor my dog for over a year!!!
    Now as for force i used, its as much as i use to roll him over to brush him.
    You all assumed i hit him??? why? did i say that NO.
    I will listen to anyone who is a qualified trainer or behaviourist and can substantiate better training methods or say why we should not copy the dogs parents behaviour.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion and even CESAR MILLAN has his critics ( he uses the submissive method ) so how are us mere mortals meant to know who's right?.

6. ouesi

ouesi PetForums Saint

Anyone who is a *qualified* behaviorist will tell you that "flooring," the submissive method, and CM type methods are all unnecessary and detrimental.

Oh, and dogs don't do that to each other either. The dog being reprimanded OFFERS the belly up position, it is never forced by the other dog. If it is, you get a gnarly dog FIGHT on your hands. ;)

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I have never had to floor my dog, nor any other dog I have ever owned for that matter. You still have not explained what you mean by that, so I can only assume you mean the "alpha roll", an expression bandied about rather liberally by the idiotic, bullying Cesar Millan, who knows sweet FA about dogs.

Saying "even" Cesar Millan is rather unfortunate, since most on here are his critics and he is just as much a mere mortal as everybody else, just a richer one.

No human can copy what dogs do to one another, because we have usually observed it all wrong anyway. As said, a dog will offer a submissive posture, it is never forced upon it by another dog. Humans like to think that it is forced because it is what they would do.

8. sjallen88

sjallen88 PetForums Junior

@ Chichi - he is left for a maximum of 2-3 hours as we are staggering our hours at work so he isnt left to long and when we cant do that, my mum and dad come round to play with him and take him on a walk. When left he has a couple of kongs normally filled with peanut butter/chicken/ham etc. He seems to be fine when we come back and hasnt soiled his crate and normally is just asleep curled up with his teddy.

He is fine eating from our hands and doesn't touch skin with his teeth, and his guarding is getting better, he is still not very happy when we try and take a bone away but we just do a simple swap for it and he is fine.

As for being from a good breeder and having bite inhibition, we chose the best breeder we had seen in around 6 months and know that they are well known in the Rottweiler scene from showing & breeding so we can did what we could and asked all the questions regarding how they raised the puppies.

Thanks for the continued advice though everyone