Pet Forums Community

Go Back   Pet Forums Community > Cat Forums > Cat Health and Nutrition

Cat Health and Nutrition Discuss topics related to the health of cats and advice on how to help treat health problems and issues including cat nutrition.

Registered users don't see this ad - Register Now (It's free!)
Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 10:13 AM
MominsMummy's Avatar
Pet Forums Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 328
MominsMummy is on a distinguished road
Ear Mites

I took my 3 month kitten into the vet today... He had been scratching his ears all night and i woke up i saw little brown bits on my sheets where he sleeps... i rang the vet straight away as i was going to book him in for vaccinations anyway, they gave me a appointment straight away.

He was checked and the vet said he has ear mites so he gave him some drops (Canaural) and gave him some flea treatment as he said that would help too.

How has he caught ear mites? Hes an indoor cat... Can they be harmful to me as he sleeps on my pillow... and most important of all... Do they hurt him?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Pet Forums VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,587
Ang2 is just really niceAng2 is just really niceAng2 is just really niceAng2 is just really niceAng2 is just really niceAng2 is just really nice
Re: Ear Mites

He will have had these before you got him. They take a long time to establish to the point that their ears are all gunked up.

Frontline should kill earmites and you should clean his ears out with damp cotton wool to make him more comfortable. Also use the canaural for extra measure.

Im sure I read on the internet somewhere that they can be passed on to humans, but very rare. They are more of an irritation to your cat than anything else.

Last edited by Ang2; 18-06-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 11:16 AM
MominsMummy's Avatar
Pet Forums Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 328
MominsMummy is on a distinguished road
Re: Ear Mites

Thank you for the quick reply... i was worried about where he caught them from as he is an indoor cat and the only pet at home.

Well since the vet put in the canaural he was scratching his ear much more but i noticed much more of the gunk falling out which is good... im thinking of getting some special ear wipes from p@h instead of cotton wool.

Also the vet gave him his vaccinations and applied the flea treatment too... isnt that going to sting or irritate at the site where the needle penetrated his skin?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Cats cats cats's Avatar
Pet Forums VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,120
Cats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to allCats cats cats is a name known to all
Re: Ear Mites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang2 View Post
He will have had these before you got him. They take a long time to establish to the point that their ears are all gunked up.

Frontline should kill earmites and you should clean his ears out with damp cotton wool to make him more comfortable. Also use the canaural for extra measure.

Im sure I read on the internet somewhere that they can be passed on to humans, but very rare. They are more of an irritation to your cat than anything else.
Frontline doesn't treat earmites , Stronghold does though And Advocate (i think !)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 11:58 AM
MominsMummy's Avatar
Pet Forums Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 328
MominsMummy is on a distinguished road
Re: Ear Mites

I dont know what brand the vet gave him but he said hes given him something that will kill the mites and fleas (which he doesnt have! )
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Pet Forums Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 705
anotheruser will become famous soon enoughanotheruser will become famous soon enough
Re: Ear Mites

Aren't they like worms? The cats are somewhat born with the ear mite eggs in their ears already? Quite possibly wrong on that one.

Mine had them.
The vet didn't seem too concerned and gave me some drops. They hated the drops, but as the other poster said, clean their ears (they'll hate it to be careful) with cotton wool (or a cotton bud if they stay still a lot).

As for how they caught them, I can't help on that I'm afraid.
Did you not ask the vet?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 02:34 PM
MominsMummy's Avatar
Pet Forums Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 328
MominsMummy is on a distinguished road
Re: Ear Mites

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Aren't they like worms? The cats are somewhat born with the ear mite eggs in their ears already? Quite possibly wrong on that one.

Mine had them.
The vet didn't seem too concerned and gave me some drops. They hated the drops, but as the other poster said, clean their ears (they'll hate it to be careful) with cotton wool (or a cotton bud if they stay still a lot).

As for how they caught them, I can't help on that I'm afraid.
Did you not ask the vet?
No i didnt but iv got another appointment in 3 weeks for his 2nd vaccination and il be sure to ask
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 02:56 PM
MoggyBaby's Avatar
Pet Forums VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Moggy Towers, The Back of Beyond.
Posts: 19,651
MoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond reputeMoggyBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ear Mites

Given the state of your baby when you got him - and where you got him from - I'd say he definitely had them before he crossed your threshold. This poor wee boy has been totally in the wars. Thank goodness he has you being so vigilant and acting promptly when you see something unusual.

Both Stronghold and Advocate spot-ons kill off, and prevent, ear-mites. We use Advocate at Moggy Towers but both get good reviews from forum members.
MominsMummy likes this.
__________________
.





.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Cookieandme's Avatar
Pet Forums VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,577
Cookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to beholdCookieandme is a splendid one to behold
Re: Ear Mites

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Aren't they like worms?
I have just been reading about them "feline ear mites are tiny, crablike insects, related to spiders".

The book is "Your Cat" - Elizabeth M Hopkins, I got mine from Amazon.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Sled dog hotel's Avatar
Pet Forums VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 27,235
Sled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond reputeSled dog hotel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ear Mites

Quote:
Originally Posted by MominsMummy View Post
I took my 3 month kitten into the vet today... He had been scratching his ears all night and i woke up i saw little brown bits on my sheets where he sleeps... i rang the vet straight away as i was going to book him in for vaccinations anyway, they gave me a appointment straight away.

He was checked and the vet said he has ear mites so he gave him some drops (Canaural) and gave him some flea treatment as he said that would help too.

How has he caught ear mites? Hes an indoor cat... Can they be harmful to me as he sleeps on my pillow... and most important of all... Do they hurt him?
Just to ease your mind a little maybe, I rescued a Persian cat many many years ago now and he had a very bad infestation of ear mites, he was given Canaural
and it was very affective. It contains anti biotic, anti fungal and also an anti inflammatory as well as killing the mites, so it should soon soothe them and settle them down if he has any discomfort.
MoggyBaby and MominsMummy like this.
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sponsored Ads


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All posts made on this forum are NOT monitored.
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 PM.


PetForums is part of the Pet Media group of websites including | Pets4Homes | PetsLocally


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2