Originally Posted by gskinner123
I think it's this, above anything else, with cat breeding that frustrates me so much. There's so much you can learn from experience to put into practice for future pregnancies/births but that doesn't seem to hold true with knowing when (if at all) to intervene. I've done it both ways - waited (and waited) with all appearing perfectly okay... sometimes the girl has finally gone into labour... but other times a c-section was needed (or was it?) and a not good outcome... or conversely a good outcome. Other times I've not been able to hold my nerve past 'x' number of days, again with mixed outcomes and I'm either left feeling 'if only I'd waited' or 'if only I'd opted for a section sooner'.
Agree such a horrible feeling not knowing what to do for the best.
I remember peaches section,that time she had got one kitten out sadly dead,we went over time that is expected for next kitten to be out,i rang vets to go in but then noticed a sac so rang vets back to say I think she may be ok now.A little more time passed still no kitten out and I didn't know if me being around her was putting her off didn't know what to do for the best anyway I got to point where I took her in for oxytocin,went back home,waited how long the vet told me to still nothing,felt so sorry for the cat we all know how horrible contractions are and she was having intense ones,anyway all ended in a section 2 live born and 1 week who died shortly after getting him home from vets.
Turned out her uterus was ruptured probably due to the oxytocin.
Sorry iv gone on a bit there havnt I,but my point being it is very hard to know when to act or wait it out.